top of page

2011 First XI

Pudsey Congs v Hanging Heaton

At Britannia Ground

Saturday September 10th, 2011

Match Ball Sponsor – Swinnow School (Bill Taylor)

Match report by John Taylor

Pudsey Congs rounded off the season with a win, beating Hanging Heaton by 4 wickets at the Britannia Ground. 


In conditions which were best described as blustery – fallen leaves streaming across the field and grey, steely clouds skidding across the sky – and a damp looking pitch, it was perhaps no surprise that when the toss was won Hanging Heaton were made to bat first.

Two depleted teams squared up; with Naved back home in Pakistan and Alex Hewitt again missing due to injury it was the unfamilar pair of Andy Siddall and Gareth Phillips opening the bowling.  Siddall struck in the first over – a wicket maiden – Rob McFarlane caught in the slips by Babar Butt.  The early optimism was tempered in the second over when Mark Lawson took a fancy to the bowling of Phillips, smashing two sixes and a four.  Siddall restored some control with another maiden, and in the fifth over struck again – Lawson excellently caught by Joe Goodchild to give Siddall the remarkable figures of 2-9 from 3 overs (although two boundaries had somewhat inflated runs conceded). With first change bowler Ed Walmsley picking up the wicket of Dawood, lbw for 14 to leave Hanging Heaton on 59-3 the fourth wicket pair of Fraser (42) and Bresnan (52) shared a 65 run stand to attempt a rescue effort.  Thereafter the slower bowlers made scoring difficult and precipitated a batting collapse which saw the last 7 wickets fall for only 31 runs.  Hanging Heaton were bowled out for 155, leaving Congs a target of 156 from 53 overs. Ed Walmsley was the pick of the bowlers with figures of 4-49 from his 15 overs, with two wickets each for Glenn Roberts, Babar Butt and Andy Siddall – who took great delight in asking for his figures at tea, which was taken at the ridiculously early time of 2.25pm.

Despite starting with two maidens in reply Congs appeared to be making light work of their target, and had reached 71-0 after 15 overs.  Mark Lawson had what he thought a certain appeal for a catch against Mark Gill turned down, although shortly afterwards was rewarded with a successful lbw shout against Gareth Phillips.  A nervous few overs saw 4 wickets fall for 20 runs, including one daft shot and three more lbws to leave Congs on 102-5 – proving as ever that a run chase by Congs in 2011 is never straight forwards. However, with Gill holding down one end to finish on 79 not out from 119 balls it took another 14 overs to score the further 54 runs needed for victory.  Congs were the winners by 4 wickets with 12 overs to spare. The result meant that Congs finished the season in fourth place in the table, albeit a massive 61 points behind champions Woodlands.

Hanging Heaton 155 (46.4 overs) (Nick Bresnan 52, Joe Fraser 42, Edward Walmsley 4-49)

Pudsey Congs 156-6 (40.4 overs) (Mark Gill 79no, Mark Lawson 4-46)

Pudsey Congs 17pts bt Hanging Heaton 5pts by 4 wkts

Pudsey St Lawrence v Pudsey Congs

At Tofts Road

Saturday September 3rd, 2011

Match Ball Sponsor – Joan Marsh

Match report by John Taylor

Pudsey Congs suffered their second defeat of the season to Pudsey St Lawrence, this time going down by 5 wickets at Tofts Road.

On what from a distance looked a green tinged pitch, Mark Robertshaw, the new St Lawrence captain, won the toss and elected to field. Following on from their experiment in the Priestley Cup final it was a surprise to see Chris Marsden opening the bowling from the top end – a decision that was rewarded with a wicket from the fourth ball, Gareth Phillips caught behind without scoring. Congs then struggled for the next few overs, with only 3 runs from the first five overs.  A 122-run partnership between Mark Gill and Babar Butt for the second wicket boosted the scoring, and with the score 122-2 with 19 overs left a defendable total looked on the cards.  With Adam Patel next in, the third wicket partnership was worth 47 from 55 balls – but as always with the Congs batting a large however was hovering around the corner. This week it took the form of an embarrasing run out, Patel unable to make his ground after setting off down the wicket.  A combination of some poor shots and another run out meant that Congs had lost 5 wickets for 30, and at 201-7 with 3 overs left another promising innings looked to have disintegrated.  A final flourish by Ed Walmsley in the last over saw two successive sixes and boosted the final total to 226-8.

The first over of the second innings set the tone for the St Lawrence reply – 8 runs, only one of which came off the bat.  With Andy Siddall opening from the town end the depleted Congs bowling attack was brutally exposed.  However, with Adam Waite bowled by Naved in the third over, followed by Hester lbw to Siddall, Congs looked to be back in the game with the Lawrence 38-2.  Two more quick wickets – Robertshaw lbw to Naved and Marsden caught in the slips by Bairstow off Naved – left the game in the balance and St Lawrence 49-4.  This would prove to be as good as it got for Congs. A match changing 158 run partnership between James Smith (100 not out) and Gareth Clough (56) for the fifth wicket swung the game towards St Lawrence, and despite an excellent catch by Walmsley to get rid of Clough and a few late jitters whilst Smith negotiated the 90s it was plain sailing for St Lawrence.  In the end they reached the target with 35 balls to spare, and (as in the game at the Britannia) Congs were left to wonder what might have been had they another 30 or 40 runs to play with.

The results mean that Congs, illogically, climb a place in the table to fifth.  The highest they can hope to finish is third should they collect maximum points from the final game, whilst hoping that a host of results go their way.  The last game of what has been an up and down season is at the Britannia Ground starting at midday next Saturday against Hanging Heaton.

Pudsey Congs 226-8 (50 overs) (Babar Butt 93, Mark Gill 46, David Stiff 3-30)

Pudsey St Lawrence 227-5 (44.1 overs) (James Smith 100no, Muhammad Naved 4-88)

Pudsey St Lawrence 19pts bt Pudsey Congs 7pts by 5wkts

Pudsey Congs v Baildon

At Britannia Ground

Saturday August 27th, 2011

Match Ball Sponsor – Andrea David Booth

Match report by John Taylor

Pudsey Congs recorded their first league win since July 23rd in a low scoring affair at the Britannia Ground; with other results going against them it also confirmed that their opponents Baildon would be relegated to Division Two.

On a damp looking pitch and falling leaves blowing across the ground the scene was more the end of September rather than August Bank Holiday.  The full 20 point win sought by Baildon always looked a tough ask in these conditions.  This was confirmed when Congs won the toss and asked them to bat, the wicket proving very difficult to score on. With runs difficult to come by and few wickets falling there was little work for the scorers.  Indeed at 38-2 after 25 overs it was difficult to remember a game where so few runs have been scored in the first quarter.  Things suddenly kicked into life though, and Baildon thrashed 17 from three overs; the last of these could have been so different with a missed stumping and dropped catch in consecutive balls – mistakes that could have proven costly in such a low scoring encounter.  Indeed the 100 was only reached in the 44th over, and the final score of 133-8 was only reached thanks to a hectic 10 overs which brought 48 runs. Glenn Roberts was the most economical of the bowlers (3-35 from 15) together with Mohammmed Naved (3-43 from 15); Eddie Walmsley might want to suggest catching practice for his team mates, as his figures of 1-36 could easily have included a couple more wickets.

In contrast to Baildon, Congs made a flying start and were already 50 without loss after only 12 overs.  It would take another 32 overs to get the additional 84 runs needed.  With the required run rate providing no particular problem the game ebbed and flowed – first with periods where the batsmen were well and truly on top and then the bowlers dominating.  As so often this season Congs produced a mini-collapse, the result of a combination of tight bowling and poor shots – from 62-1 to 79-5 in only 5 overs. A 27 run partnership for the sixth wicket between Andrew Bairstow and Josh Atkinson steadied the ship, before Bairstow was unnecessarily stumped.  Atkinson then patiently anchored the final stages of the innings, finishing with 32 not out from 80 balls, Congs reaching the required total in the 44th over for the loss of 6 wickets.

Again the points system conspired to frustrate Congs, who despite winning dropped a further place in the table to sixth.  The current points system means that Congs having won 11 matches to Undercliffe’s 9 now sit one point behind them.  Despite this the current table does set up nicely next week’s clash with Pudsey St Lawrence – congratulations to them on their Priestley Cup victory on Bank Holiday Monday.  Only 18 points separate the two sides going into what is likely to be another closely fought contest.

Baildon 133-8 (50 overs) (Glenn Roberts 3-35, Muhammad Naved 3-43)

Pudsey Congs 137-6 (43.2 overs) (Gareth Phillips 41, Josh Atkinson 32no, Richard Atkins 4-64)

Pudsey Congs 15pts bt Baildon 4pts by 4wkts

Pudsey Congs v Farsley

At Britannia Ground

Saturday August 20th, 2011

Match Ball Sponsor – Eric Thompson

Match report by John Taylor

Pudsey Congs fell to their second straight defeat – suffering one of their heaviest defeats of the season at the hands of local rivals Farsley.  After winning the toss and electing to bat, Farsley made a quick start and were 43 after only ten overs for the loss of one wicket. Two big partnerships ensured a mammoth total for Farsley, the second wicket adding 89 and the third 153.  The main performers were Joe Greaves, making 114 from 135 balls, and Lorenzo Ingram, making 110 not out from only 70 balls; the bowling figures were something to forget for Congs.  In an innings completely dominated by the bat Farsley posted 305-5 from their 50 overs.

In reply Congs lost two early wickets and never really appeared to be in the hunt.  Farsley had been free scoring throughout their innings with Congs finding it difficult to exert any kind of control; the second innings was the opposite, and Congs were always behind the required run rate.  In the end, with the top score being only 39 Congs were bowled out for 221.

Farsley 305-5 (Joe Greaves 114, Lorenzo Ingram 110no, Andrew Duckworth 42)

Pudsey Congs 221 all out (44.3 overs) (Josh Atkinson 39, Adam Patel 38, Gareth Phillips 32, Eugene Burzler 31, Ian Philliskirk 4-79, Lorenzo Ingram 3-49)

Farsley 20pts bt Pudsey Congs 6pts by 84 runs

East Bierley v Pudsey Congs

At South View Road

Saturday Aug 13th, 2011

Match Ball Sponsor – Ghulam Raffique

Match report by John Taylor

A defeat at the hands of East Bierley and the outcome of other results ensured Congs ended the day in fifth place, slipping behind both Farsley and Bierley.  On a pitch that had had no chance to dry out following rain during the week Bierley won the toss and Congs were made to bat first.

In what proved to be an exceedingly slow half, in terms of scoring rate and especially the over rate, Congs made another poor start and were only 12-2 after 10 overs.  With Congs on the wrong end of a 6-0 scoreline for lbw’s, the only bright spots of the innings were two patient 50 run partnerships.  The first of 57 for the third wicket was between Adam Patel (45 from 65 balls) and Babar Butt (31 from 46 balls) before both received the finger of doom from the umpire.  With runs hard to come by and wickets falling regularly it was left to Glenn Roberts (39 not out from 31 balls) and Alex Hewitt (10 not out from 34 balls) to bat out the last nine overs and add exactly 50 runs for the unbroken tenth wicket. Congs finished on 187-9 from their 50 overs.

With Bierley making a fast start it was important to get early wickets and Naved bowling Gavin Hamilton for one did the trick.  Thereafter it got progressively easier to score, and Bierley were 61-3 after only 12 overs. Andrew Rennison’s innings of 51 from 75 balls took the game away from Pudsey; when he should have kicked on and won the game with ease he played a ridiculous shot to be caught by Adam Patel and no doubt giving his lower order a few jitters.  Bierley then conspired to make hard work of getting the remaining 34 runs – Dawood run out, and then several gilt edged chances to gift Pudsey the game.  The first was a dropped catch at mid-on, and then a run out – the throw veering away from the stumps – and the possibility of a late order collapse was on the cards.  It was not to be, and Bierley eventually secured a 4 wicket win with four and a bit overs left.

From the spectators point of view this was a typical end of season game, with a damp pitch and little to play for in the league.  Indeed the match seemed to just drag on and on, with slow over rates a particular sticking point.  With Congs in fifth the season is in danger of petering out with only four games left this season.

Pudsey Congs 187-9 (50 overs) (Adam Patel 45, Glenn Roberts 39no, Babar Butt 31)

East Bierley 188-6 (45.4 overs) (Andrew Rennison 51, Thomas Owens 34)

East Bierley (17pts) beat Pudsey Congs (6pts) by 4 wickets

Undercliffe v Pudsey Congs

At Intake Road

Saturday Aug 6th, 2011

Match Ball Sponsor – Exeeco Ltd

Match report by John Taylor 

Pudsey Congs and Undercliffe shared the points after an exciting finish resulted in a tie at Intake Road.  Following persistent and heavy rain during the morning, play didn’t look likely.  However, once the rain had stopped the covers were removed and the ground was soon fit, only for the rain to start again and the covers to go back on.  In the end play was only delayed by an hour, the match reduced to 39 overs per side with Congs batting first.

Congs made a very slow start, and were soon in trouble with Gareth Phillips run out in the second over with the score on 2.  The next wicket to fall seemed a touch unfortunate; Babar Butt was on the wrong end of an excellent one handed catch by Thomas Hudson at square leg with the score on 24.  A third wicket partnership of 51 was dominated by Adam Patel (47 from 52 balls) before five wickets in five overs left the innings in tatters.  Indeed Congs looked in danger of being bowled out with 12 overs left and the score at 90-7.  Another excellent one handed catch in front of the clubhouse dismissed Burzler and prevented a certain six.  Then a reviving ninth wicket partnership between Ed Walmsley (32 not out) and Mohammed Naved (30) added 58 in 49 balls and was only broken in the final over.  Two sixes in the last over from Walmsley further boosted the total and Congs finished their 39 overs on 180-9.

In reply Undercliffe made a steady start and had 40 from their first 10 overs when their first wicket fell.  As is so often the case two wickets fell in quick succession and thereafter the scoring rate slowed, so that with 20 overs left the required rate had already risen to 6 runs an over.  With 10 overs left and 79 still needed Congs looked favourites to take the points.  A fourth wicket partnership of 58 between Nawaz Sardar (41 from 33 balls) and Ben Heritage (44) then swung the game back towards Undercliffe, before Burzler was brought back from the Intake Road end to take the crucial wicket of Sardar. New batter Ammer Mirza kept Undercliffe up with the required rate and shared a 44 run stand with Heritage for the fifth wicket.  This was only broken in the final over of the game, when Undercliffe looked odds-on to beat Congs for the second time this season.  With only five runs needed the last over was always going to be dramatic, and it was made doubly so in the scorebox where the view of the game was severely impaired by the sun now shining low in the sky directly in line behind the pitch. Undercliffe scrambled three singles off the first three balls, before Heritage attempted a big hit and was caught somewhere in the sun – confusion about who caught it, quickly followed by a run out on the fifth ball with more confusion over who threw the wickets down.  All of this followed by a phone call from a concerned cricket chairman relating to the number of balls left, who was no probably left none the wiser and no doubt hastily looking for a scorer who can at least count to six. Only a single came from the last ball meaning that Undercliffe closed on 180-6, with apologies to any wrongly identified players – the most crucial, exciting last over was utterly spoilt by not been able to see any of it properly.

The result keeps Congs in third place in the league ten points behind second placed Cleckheaton, but now only three points in front of fourth placed Farsley.  Five matches left in the league means that there are a maximum 100 points at stake, and with Woodlands now 33 points clear at the top the rest seem to be battling for second place.

Pudsey Congs 180-9 (39 overs) (Adam Patel 47, Edward Walmsley 32no, Muhammad Naved 30, Ashley Metcalfe 4-38)

Undercliffe 180-6 (39 overs) (Ben Heritage 44, Nawaz Sardar 41, Muhammad Naved 3-52)

Pudsey Congs (11pts) tied with Undercliffe (12 pts)


Pudsey Congs v Clearwater St Lawrence

At Britannia Ground

August 4th, 2011

Match report

A visit by Clearwater St Lawrence brought the curtain down on the Congs less than stellar 2011 Twenty/20 campaign. The visitors defeated the Congs by 29 runs in the final group two match to qualify for the last eight as runners up behind Farsley.

The match was decided over 12 overs after rain ended play with Congs on 99-5 after 12.2 overs in reply to Pudsey St Lawrence’s total of 205-5. After 12 overs St Lawrence had scored 126-2 to Congs 97-5. That means the holders will now be away to Group Four winners Hanging Heaton and it rules out the prospect of a third successive final between St Lawrence and Bradford & Bingley.

The Congs finished a distance fourth in the group, 12 points behind the leaders, better luck in 2012.

Pudsey Congs v Cleckheaton

At Britannia Ground

Saturday July 30th, 2011

Match Ball Sponsor – Mr MB Knight and Mrs B Wells

Match report by John Taylor

Cleckheaton ended Congs’ winning run of five straight league wins. Winning the toss and electing to bat Cleckheaton, and John Wood in particular, made a fast start and had 34 on the board from only 8 overs.  The ninth over brought a double breakthrough for Congs – Wood run out by a direct hit from Glenn Roberts attempting a quick single and then Mark Cummins caught by Babar Butt in the slips fending off a bouncer from Naved.  In the 13th over another half chance presented itself, with Marcus Walmsley, at that stage still yet to score, hitting one down towards fine leg, which fell just short of the fielder before taking a wicked bounce to find its way over the boundary.  The next over brought another wicket, Jackson caught behind chasing a wide ball, leaving Cleckheaton 57-3.

A couple of overs later Ian Nicholson was lbw to Ed Walmsley, making the score 63-4.  James Lee then rode his luck, twice hitting Walmsley for 4 just out of reach of the fielder at cover at the very edge of the circle – the benefits to the batsmen of the 30 yard circle, as had the fielder been set a couple of yards further out both chances would have been sitters.  With the partnership developing, Naved was brought back and provided a wicket from his first over – Walmsley adjudged to be caught behind.  In Naved’s second over back he tempted Lee into playing a shot at a short pitched bouncer which produced an excellent catch by Bairstow diving full length behind the stumps, the third of Bairstow’s six victims which included one stumping.  The game was taken away from Congs after that with a partnership of 39 for the seventh wicket – Mally Nicholson in particular batting well until he was ninth out, top edging a full toss from Naved miles up in the air to be caught behind by Bairstow.  Naved finished the innings with two in two and five wickets, leaving Cleckheaton all out for 183 with two overs to spare.

In reply Congs suffered a disastrous start, and their innings never really recovered.  Four wickets went down in the first 10 overs, two bowled and two lbw, to leave them tottering at 40-4.  A brief rescue attempt was begun by Andrew Bairstow (34) and Ed Walmsley (11) – Bairstow surviving a big lbw appeal, and Walmsley enduring some rather pointless short pitched bowling which he looked content to duck under and which never looked like either intimidating him or getting him out. With Bairstow and Walmsley bowled in quick succession the game was up at 85-6, and with Glenn Roberts lbw to Cummins with the score on 95 it was now a matter of how long the Congs tail could survive.  With Hewitt and Naved both providing catching practice for Cleckheaton’s fielders it was left to Joe Goodchild and Dale Spink to try and salvage a bonus point.  A gritty and determined partnership lasted 35 balls and added 17 runs – the biggest cheer of the game was when they ran through for a single to take the score to 125.  With Cleckheaton in danger of being embarrased by the pair Lee was brought back, bowling Goodchild first ball to leave Cleckheaton the victors by 58 runs.

Overall another disappointing batting performance couldn’t capitalise on the position the bowlers had provided.  The game turned out to be a carbon copy of the match played earlier in the season, although this time with the result reversed.  The result consolidates Cleckheaton in second place 19 points behind leaders Woodlands, with Congs in third a further 17 points behind.  The battle for the title would now seem to be a two way fight between Woodlands and Cleckheaton, with the crucial match on 20th August when they clash at Moorend.

Cleckheaton 183 all out (47.3 overs) (Mally Nicholson 45, Marcus Walmsley 36, Muhammad Naved 5-47)

Pudsey Congs 125 all out (37.1 overs) (Andrew Bairstow 34, James Lee 4-48)

Cleckheaton 18pts bt Pudsey Congs 6pts by 58 runs


Pudsey Congs v Whitley Hall

Black Sheep Yorkshire Champions Semi Final

At Britannia Ground

Sunday July 24th, 2011

Match Ball Sponsor – Phil & Trish Hewitt

Match report by John Taylor

Whitley Hall of the South Yorkshire League have progressed to this season’s Black Sheep Yorkshire Champions Final following a comprehensive 7 wicket victory over Pudsey Congs at the Britannia Ground.

On a glorious sunny day and in front of a packed crowd Congs won the toss and elected to bat first.  They made an impressive start, and were already 50 after only 11 overs when their first wicket went down. Scoring continued a pace, and at one stage a total of 270 to 280 didn’t look out of the question.  However, the combination of some poor shots and some tight bowling from Whitley Hall in the middle of the innings put the brakes on.  The Congs innings was held together by Adam Patel (63 from 79 balls), with some late hitting from Mohammed Naved contributing a further 40 from 25 balls.  At the interval the final total of 236-7 appeared to be around 40 to 50 runs short of a winning total.

Congs’ much reduced bowling attack was always going to struggle in a game requiring at least five bowlers – with Eugene Burzler injured at Manningham Mills the previous day and Alex Hewitt away with university.  However, Naved bowled the opener Alex Welsh off only the second ball to leave Whitley 0-1 and the game looked on.  The unfamiliar sight of Andy Siddall opening the bowling at the opposite end proved the point regarding the bowling shortage – although in total six bowlers would be tried, and at least two others were available but not used.  Whitley overcame their disastrous start and from then on were always ahead of the required run rate, anchored by an innings of 53 from 118 balls from Chris Siddall whilst Neil Longhurst (92) and Jim Tasker (55) both scored at slightly better than a run a ball. Late in the innings it appeared that the game rested on how many overs Naved had left to bowl, which became an often asked question around the scorebox – the answer always being one less than last time you asked.  With 10 overs left the game was still in the balance, although with 42 needed and wickets in hand Whitley were always favourites.  In the end there were 16 balls to spare when they reached their target, winning by 7 wickets.

Good luck to Whitley Hall in the final, where they will they will now meet Solly Sports Central Yorkshire League champions Wrenthorpe at Hanging Heaton on Sunday, August 21 (1pm).

Manningham Mills v Pudsey Congs

At Scotchman Road

Saturday July 23rd, 2011

Match Ball Sponsor – Greggs Bakers

Match report by John Taylor


Congs made a quick getaway from Scotchman Road with 17 points, doing a smash and grab to steal the points from their hosts in the last couple of overs.  Having won the toss and elected to bat Mills made a steady start on a slow scoring pitch.  The Congs opening bowlers conceded few runs, and Mills were 37-0 in the thirteenth over when Eugene Burzler pulled up and left the field – subsequently diagnosed with ligament trouble by staff at the nearby BRI.

The first wicket fell in the twenty first over, Ahmed bowled by Walmsley with the score on 53, quickly followed in the next over by his fellow opener Islam lbw to Roberts.  This was the first of what would prove to be six lbw’s in the game, and Congs can probably count themselves lucky that they were only on the wrong end of two of them.  Imran Khalid, the overseas player, was next out giving Naved a gift of a catch at deep mid-on at a time when all that was needed was for him to stay in.  With the scoring rate slow and wickets falling at regular intervals a large total was never likely – and with 10 overs left Mills were still only 98-5.  However 72 runs came from the last 10 together with a further 4 wickets to at least keep the scorers awake.  Mills finished with 170-9 from their 50 overs, Glenn Roberts (4-45) being the pick of the bowlers.

In reply Congs were on fire, 12 from the first two overs, before a wicket maiden in the third brought them crashing back to earth – Gareth Phillips judged to be caught behind.  Andy Siddall was promoted up the order to three and he shared a stand of 31 with Josh Atkinson before playing a terrible shot to be bowled by Khalid for 17.  He was soon followed back to the pavillion by Atkinson, lbw to Khalid for 16 to leave Congs 48-3 after 14 overs.  Another lbw soon afterwards accounted for Andrew Bairstow, and the Congs innings seemed to be crumbling.

At halfway the game was still very much in the balance with Congs 81-4 needing another 90 runs to win.  However, the fourth wicket pairing of Adam Patel (40) and Ed Walmsley (34 not out) were putting together a stand of 60.  This included some excellent running between the wickets, and Congs were seemingly cruising to a comfortable victory needing just 58 from the last 16 overs. Then the 35th over brought some drama – five overthrows from the second ball then Patel caught close in off the third, although confirmation from the umpires was required to decide that the ball had grounded in front of the fielder.  The next ball Patel could only watch as it somehow trickled into the stumps to leave Pudsey at 119-5. Then followed nine overs where Mills were in the ascendency – no runs at all from the next 15 balls; then only 14 runs from the next 7 overs to push the required rate up to over 6 runs per over for the first time.  Then just as the match was leaning their way the previously tight Mills bowling went into meltdown.  The unbroken sixth wicket stand was worth 57 at the close (35 of them from the final 15 balls of the innings) which was dominated by Barbar Butt but with able support from Ed Walmsley.  Butt in particular helped himself to some  poor bowling – 4 sixes and 2 fours to leave him 41 not out from 38 balls – and he also had the presence of mind to dispatch the last ball over the wall into  Scotchman Road for 6, thereby ensuring an extra bonus point.  In the end Congs had won by 5 wickets with 15 balls to spare, a most unlikely outcome only 15 minutes earlier.

The result consolidates Congs position in third place, albeit they have lost ground on the teams immediately above them.  Second placed Cleckheaton take 19 points in beating Undercliffe by 4 wickets whereas a 5 wicket win only scores Congs 17 points – begging the question of whether a flukey 1 wicket win should be worth more than a comprehensive 10 wicket mauling.  This anomaly does however set up next Saturday’s home game at the Britannia Ground when Cleckheaton and Congs will battle it out, with the winner likely to end the match second in the league.

Manningham Mills 170-9

Pudsey Congs 176-5

Pudsey Congs 17pts bt Manningham Mills 4pts by 5 wkts



Yeadon Jets v Pudsey Congs

At High Street

Wednesday July 20th, 2011

Match report

  Adam Patel became the fifth player to hit a century in this season’s Dyson Insulations Twenty/20 Cup.

He raced to fifty off 20 balls and completed his century from just 33 deliveries as Congs passed Yeadon’s score of 134-7 in just 11.2 overs. Patel hit nine sixes and nine fours in an innings which spanned just 29 minutes. He simply destroyed the Yeadon bowling.

Batting first, Yeadon reached 134-7 thanks largely to a knock of 58 from Kasir Maroof. Accurate bowling from spinner Edward Walmsley (2-13) and overseas paceman Muhammad Naved (1-15) kept the scoring rate under control.

Yeadon Jets 134-7 (Kasir Maroof 58)

Pudsey Congs 135-2 (Adam Patel 104)

Pudsey Congs 4pts bt Yeadon Jets 0pts by 8wkts

Pudsey Congs v Gomersal

At the Britannia Ground

Saturday July 16, 2011

Match Ball Sponsor – Jayne E Verity

Match report by John Taylor

Pudsey Congs made it four league wins in a row with a comprehensive 68 run win against relegation threatened Gomersal at a soggy Britannia Ground.  Arriving at the ground the covers were on and the rain had stopped – only for a persistent shower to put the match in some doubt.  Once the rain had cleared and the ground had been prepared the start was scheduled for just after 3.30pm playing 34 overs a side.

Gomersal won the toss and elected to field on a pitch that was hard with a couple of damp looking patches.  The decision reaped immediate rewards, with Gareth Philips caught from the second ball.  The second wicket partnership between Mark Gill and Eugene Burzler started as a slow scoring affair, with only 18 from the first 11 overs.  However, balls started disappearing around the ground.  Gill was unlucky in playing a ball so straight it demolished the pile of sawdust but failed to make it to the boundary, whilst the scorebox was nearly put out of action by a six from Burzler which hit the plastic screen in front of the scorer’s desk (which was only put up in case it rained again, and which will now probably be used at all matches just in case).  The partnership was worth 81 when Gill was out caught for 35.

Adam Patel came in at four, and continued the excellent scoring rate – he had 40 from only 21 balls before being bowled by Platt with the score at 149.  Burzler reached his 50 from 73 balls, and a rejigged batting line-up contributed some late runs – Andrew Bairstow (38 not out from 17 balls), Mohammed Naved (13 from 5 balls) and Ed Walmsley 3 not out at a run a ball. A total of 60 runs came from the last four overs to raise the score to 216-5 and ensure that Congs took four batting points from the game, which was fully deserved for an excellent batting performance.

Following a 10 minute break at the interval Gomersal made a quick start, with 15 plundered from the second over.  Four came from the next over, before Naved dispatched the opener Greenwood.  Andrew Gorrod was next out, caught by the wicketkeeper Gill off the bowling of Naved with the score at 31 – there was to be no repeat of the century he scored against Congs earlier in the season. A stubborn 57 run partnership for the fourth wicket raised hopes for the visitors that they would survive their overs and accumulate bonus points. The partnership was only broken in the 21st over, Rashid run out by Walmsley for 35.  With Naved returning to bowl out his 11 overs at the Intake Road end, and Walmsley in support at the other end, wickets soon started to tumble – literally with Naved having four of the middle and lower order bowled.  He finished with figures of 6-34 from 10.1 overs, Walmsley 2-32 from 8, and Gomersal were bowled out for 148 with 11 balls to spare.

The teams at the top of the league again found themselves at the mercy of the current points system – which is plainly exposed for what it is when playing a rain affected game – but this time it proved to be to Pudsey’s advantage.  Scoring over 200 and bowling the opposition out on a day disrupted by the weather saw Congs collect a 19 point win, the highest score and points tally of the day.  This allowed them to close the gap on leaders Woodlands (16 points) and second placed Cleckheaton (15 points), meaning Congs are now third, a mere 19 points behind Woodlands.

Pudsey Congs 216-5 (34 overs) (Eugene Burzler 82, Adam Patel 40, Andrew Bairstow 38no, Mark Gill 35)

Gomersal 148 all out (32.1 overs) (Greg Pickles 42, Shabbir Rashid 35, Muhammad Naved 6-34)

Pudsey Congs 19pts bt Gomersal 3pts by 68 runs

Bradford & Bingley v Pudsey Congs

At Wagon Lane

Saturday July 9th, 2011

Match Ball Sponsor – Exeeco

Match report by John Taylor

A third consecutive win helped Congs to consolidate their position in the league.  Following a week of persistent rain showers it was no surprise that Bingley chose to field; perhaps memories of their 94 all out against East Bierley a fortnight ago in a similar situation were still raw.  Congs made an excellent start with openers Mark Gill and Josh Atkinson, promoted back up the order.  Gill in particular was scoring freely, and dispatched Thompson for sixes in successive overs back passed the bowler towards the rugby ground. Atkinson was out with the score at 46 off the bowling of Briggs, the first change bowler.  Babar Butt came in at three and he then shared a 61-run partnership with Gill, who reached his 50 off 51 balls and was eventually out for 75. With the score at 108-2 with 22 overs left, Congs looked on for a big total.  Bingley then restricted the scoring rate and began picking up wickets.  It was left to captain Andrew Bairstow to pick-up the scoring rate – his 45 not out from 49 balls included three 6s but no 4s.  There was a moment of slight farce when he skied the ball to the boundary and the fielder oblivious to the fact it was a no-ball held the ball only for the batsmen to run through for two whilst he was celebrating the ‘wicket’, only to be put right by his team in no uncertain terms.  A harsh looking decision saw Glenn Roberts run out via some fancy footwork from the bowler, before more quick running nearly saw Alex Hewitt go the same way.  Congs finished at 200-8 from their 50 overs, taking the fourth bonus point from the final ball of the innings.

In reply Congs had two quick wickets – the opener Etherington lbw to Alex Hewitt from the seventh ball, and captain Slater bowled by Naved – to leave them 21-2 at the end of the fifth over.  Although Bingley were keeping up with the required run rate they lost wickets regularly.  Eugene Burzler bowling from the pavillion end took two wickets in successive overs to leave the score at 44-4, but a stubborn fifth wicket partnership of 54 from Naweed Ghany and Chris Thompson threatened a comeback before it was eventually broken – Thompson bowled by Ed Walmsley with the score at 98. With 20 overs left the game was poised with Bingley needing 97 with 5 wickets left.  Ghany was out 2 overs later – an excellent catch by Bairstow off the bowling of Walmsley – and the game suddenly tipped Congs way.  The seventh wicket pair again hung around, but by this time the scoring had dried up and Bingley weren’t realistically going to win.  The only threat to the match seemed to be the low evening sun, which shines directly down the wicket from the pavillion end.  With Naved returned at the pavillion end it took him only three overs to finish off the last three batsmen all bowled – picking the ball out of the sun at Naved’s pace cannot have been easy.  Naved finished with 4- 27 off 11.5 overs, with Ed Walmsley (2-42) doing much to slow the scoring in the middle of the innings and Eugene Burzler (2-18) taking a couple of important wickets at the start of the innings.

In the end Bingley finished on 159 all out, with Congs winning by 41 runs.  The points mean that Congs stay in fourth place.  With Woodlands taking 20 points they extend their lead by one point, meaning we are now 22 points adrift of top spot.


Pudsey Congs 200-8 (50 overs) (Mark Gill 75, Andrew Bairstow 45no, Babar Butt 31)

Bradford & Bingley 159 all out (46.5 overs) (Naweed Ghany 35, Muhammad Naved 4-27)

Pudsey Congs 19pts bt Bradford & Bingley 6pts by 41 runs


Pudsey Congs v Woodlands

At the Britannia Ground

Saturday July 2nd, 2011

Match Ball Sponsor – Peter Marsh

Match report by John Taylor

The first match in the second half of the season saw Congs complete their first ‘double’.  A stunning performance helped to record a comprehensive 48 run win over the runaway league leaders Woodlands. Congs seem to revel in being something of a ‘bogey’ team for Woodlands, being responsible for two of their three league defeats this season.

Winning the toss and electing to bat Congs made another nervy start reaching 48-2 from the first 20 overs.  Then followed an exciting 78 run partnership between Babar Butt (46) and Andrew Bairstow (47) from the next fourteen overs; in what proved to be an expensive let-off Butt had been dropped in the slips on 1 when the score was still only 18-1.  The innings then gradually fell away with wickets falling at regular intervals to leave Congs 161-7 from 46 overs.  Some late hitting saw 40 come from the last four overs with Glen Roberts finishing on 34 not out from only 19 balls, including a six from the final ball of the innings to close the innings at 201-8 and ensure Congs took four of the five possible batting points.  

In reply Woodlands were always behind the required run rate, although no wickets fell until the 13th over with the score at 29 – Frankland bowled by Naved for 2, after earlier been put down in the slips without scoring with the score on 6. The second wicket followed four overs later with the score at 39 – the opener Richardson bowled by Roberts.  The familiar sight of Roberts and Walmsley bowling at either end saw overs disappear at an alarming rate and scoring slowed to a crawl, although Woodlands were seemingly still in the game at 67-2 with 20 overs left.  However, whereas Congs had managed to find the gaps and had effectively punished the bad balls, Woodlands were doing neither very often which ensured that scoring remained sporadic.  

Wickets began to fall regularly, with the visitors falling way behind the run rate; with 40 overs gone they were 107-6 needing another 95 for what would now be an outstanding victory.  With Roberts and Naved to bowl the last ten there was no way that Congs would let such a winning position slip, and by this stage the match for Woodlands had reverted to an old fashioned battle to bat out their overs and deny their opponents full points.  Then the ninth wicket fell to Roberts with 8 balls of the innings left with the score on 144 to set up a tense finale.  Several appeals for lbw at either end were turned down, before the number 11 dispatched the last ball of the game to the boundary to gain a second batting point for Woodlands who finished on 153-9 from their 50 overs.  The stand out bowler for Congs was again Glen Roberts who finished with figures of 6-41 from his 15 overs.  

The result tightens the battle at the top of the league, although Woodlands are still 13 points clear of second placed Cleckheaton.  Congs have moved into fourth place 21 points behind the leaders.  With only six points separating Congs and Manningham Mills, who are third from bottom, consistency is now the key to ensure Congs stay at the top end of the table.


Pudsey Congs 201-8 (50 overs) (Andrew Bairstow 47, Babar Butt 46, Glenn Roberts 34no, Pieter Swanepoel 3-64)

Woodlands 153-9 (50 overs) (Pieter Swanepoel 32, Glenn Roberts 6-41)

Pudsey Congs 18pts bt Woodlands 6pts by 48 runs

Farsley v Pudsey Congs

At Red Lane

Sunday June 26th, 2011

Match report not available

Farsley 188-4 (Barry Frankland 69no, Joe Greaves 56)

Pudsey Congs 135-6 (Gareth Phillips 40)

Farsley 4pts bt Pudsey Congs 0pts by 53 runs

Hanging Heaton v Pudsey Congs

At Bennett Lane

Saturday June 25th, 2011

Match Ball Sponsor – Barry Wilson

Match report by John Taylor

Congs climbed to sixth in the table with a comprehensive five wicket win against Hanging Heaton at Bennett Lane.  Arriving at the ground to find the covers still on to protect the pitch from incessant overnight and early morning rain, it was no surprise that when Congs won the toss they elected to bowl first.  However, there were no early break throughs, and what looked like a poor decision saw opener McFarlane ajudged to be caught behind for 6 with the score on 22 – the umpire reacted to what was a gasp of approval at a good ball rather than a genuine appeal for a catch.  The other opener Lawson was let off twice, being dropped at 10 and 33, before being caught by Walmsley for 78 to make the score 115-2. Hanging Heaton continued to accumulate runs steadily and were well placed to make a big total with the score at 160-3 with 14 overs left.

However, with Roberts and Walmsley bowling in tandem the next nine overs saw Hanging Heaton score only 16 runs for the loss of 5 wickets (2 lbws and 3 bowled), to leave them reeling at 176-9 with five left.  A stubborn last wicket partnership between captain Bresnan and last man Rehman put on another 49 to ensure that Hanging Heaton would not gift Congs any spare overs to finish at 225 all out.  The pick of the bowlers were Glen Roberts (5-74 from 15) and Eddie Walmsley (3-44 from 11). The disappointment of the team at conceding 49 runs for the last wicket was tempered by the fact that this ensured that full batting points would be achievable.  The vagaries of the current points system mean that is more beneficial for a side fielding first to bowl out a side for 225 rather than 176, provided that is they can chase the runs – which to me at any rate appears to be illogical.

In reply Congs made another disastrous start, with two poor shots and a questionable lbw decision leaving them 5-3 and staring down the barrel of another likely defeat.  However, what would proved to be a patient, match winning innings of 93 not out from Andrew Bairstow was in progress – sharing in stands of 104 for the fourth wicket with Andy Siddall (51) and an unbroken stand of 85 for the fifth wicket with Babar Butt (35 not out) ensured that Congs reached their target with five wickets down and 18 balls to spare.  Bairstow’s innings included 9-4s and 2-6s, his 50 coming from 93 balls.


Hanging Heaton 225 all out (49.1 overs) (Mark Lawson 78, Glenn Roberts 5-74, Edward Walmsley 3-44)

Pudsey Congs 227-5 (47.0 overs) (Andrew Bairstow 93no, Andy Siddall 51, Babar Butt 33no)

Pudsey Congs 20pts bt Hanging Heaton 7pts by 5wkts



Manningham Mills v Pudsey Congs

Sovereign Healthcare Priestley Cup Quarter Final

At Scotchman Road

Sun June 19th, 2011

Match Ball Sponsor – N/A

Match report by John Taylor

Congs slumped to another dismal defeat, their second in consecutive days.  This time they were knocked out of the Priestley Cup away at Manningham Mills.  On a green tinged pitch Manningham won the toss and elected to bat making a steady start.  The first four batters were all back in the pavillion by the end of the thirteenth over with the score on only 35 and a competitive total didn’t look likely.  What would later prove to be match winning partnerships of 45 and 48 for the fifth and sixth wickets ensured that Mills stayed in the driving seat.  Three sets of five wides boosted their total, and 27 extras proved to be the second highest scorer.  In the end they were bowled out for 160 with 16 balls left.

In reply Congs slumped to 29-5 and the match was all but over; with batsman seemingly unable to stay in and accumulate runs it was left to the extras column to boost the total finishing as joint top score.  However, a dogged stand of 41 for the sixth wicket from Adam Patel (finishing on 34 n.o. from 75 balls) and Andy Siddall (18) raised hopes of a comeback, which were just as quickly snuffed out with two wickets in three balls in the 25th over leaving the score 71-7 and Congs needing another 90.  The lower order managed to hang around adding another 55 to leave the score 126-8 with eight left, needing another 35 for a most unlikely win.  An ambitious single saw Hewitt run out for 18, and a couple of low scoring overs were endured before Naved was lbw to Sharafat and Mills had won by 29 runs.

Manningham Mills 160 all out (47.2 overs) (Gulsheraz Ahmed 68, Alex Hewitt 3-26)

Pudsey Congs 131 all out (44.1 overs) (Adam Patel 34no, Zeeshan Qasim 3-24)

Manningham Mills bt Pudsey Congs by 29 runs

Pudsey Congs v Pudsey St Lawrence

At the Britannia Ground

Saturday June 18th, 2011

Match Ball Sponsor – Tony Booth

Match report by John Taylor

Congs found themselves at the wrong end of the league table after a close fought derby against Pudsey St Lawrence.  On a pitch that seemed likely to help the bowlers early on, St Lawrence won the toss and elected to field.  The first wicket fell in the second over with the score on 1, and thereafter scoring proved difficult with only 51 runs from the first 25 overs.  A competitive total looked unlikely before a sixth wicket partnership of 86 between Andy Siddall (55) and Adam Patel, who finished on 54 not out, ensured that 83 came from the last ten overs.  Congs finished on 203-7 from their 50 overs.

The start of the second innings was uneventful, except in the scorebox where sparks were flying quite literally from the electric heater before we decided we weren’t so cold after all.  In reply St Lawrence seemed to be making light work of it, and were 174-4 with 9 overs left needed only a further 30 for a comprehensive victory. However 5 wickets fell for 25 runs to leave the game in the balance with St Lawrence on 199-9 nine balls left and the opposition scorer convincing me that it just needed a straight ball to get rid of the number 11.  Unfortunately he managed to streak one away and the next ball was dispatched through the covers for 4 to give St Lawrence a nervy 1 wicket win.

Ultimately it was a case of so near yet so far away for Congs, and a few simple errors proved vital.  In a game of such tight margins seven no balls and one wide proved to be far too many, and six overthrows gifted St Lawrence four runs.  In a topsy-turvy season the difference between winning and losing is stark; starting the game level on points St Lawrence are now joint fourth whilst Congs languish fourth from bottom.

Pudsey Congs 203-7 (50 overs) (Andy Siddall 55, Adam Patel 54no, Josh Atkinson 39, Gareth Clough 4-60)

Pudsey St Lawrence 204-9 (49 overs) (Adam Waite 82, Muhammad Naved 4-48)

Pudsey St Lawrence 17pts bt Pudsey Congs 8pts by 1wkt

Baildon v Pudsey Congs

At Jenny Lane

Saturday June 11th, 2011

Match Ball Sponsor – Heaton Lumb and Lisle

Match report by Ralph Middlebrook

Another below par performance resulted in an amazing win thanks to the calmness, patience and skill of Alex Hewitt and Muhammed Naveed, who added 38 runs in a style which made our batting efforts look even less distinguished. One only has to look at our batting bonus points to realise where our difficulties lie. The last wicket partnership overshadowed the excellent bowling of Eddie Walmsley who collected 5 wickets for the first time for Congs. During the last rites of the match, Captain Andrew Bairstow sat defiantly on the pavillion steps urging his opening bowlers in their batting quest, unbelievably he was not disappointed – but all must look towards an improvement in THEIR personal performances. The win was celebrated by a small but highly vocal band of supporters who cheered their two heroes throughout.

Baildon 156 all out (4.5 overs) (Jonny Renolds 54, Ed Walmsley 5-33, Muhammad Naved 3-30)

Pudsey Congs 157-9 (56 overs) (Mushtaq Ahmed 3-24, Craig Hitchenor 3-50, Richard Atkins 3-51)

Pudsey Congs 17pts bt Baildon 6pts by 1wkt


Dunnington CC v Pudsey Congs

Black Sheep Yorkshire Champions First Round

At Costcutter Cricket Ground, Common Road, Dunnington

Sunday June 5th, 2011

Match Ball Sponsor – N/A

Match report

Pudsey Congs secured their place in the semi-finals of the Black Sheep Yorkshire Champions Trophy with an emphatic 132-win away to the York Senior League champions Dunnington.

Congs put the game beyond the reach of their opponents as they compiled a total of 336-7 in their 50 overs. Josh Atkinson led the way with 78 while the experienced Babar Butt chipped in with 53.

Dunnington made 204-9 in reply with Adam Iyer making 69 and Dave Johnson (60). Alex Hewitt was the best of the Congs bowlers with 3-44.

Pudsey Congs 336-7 (J Atkinson 78, B Butt 53, B Johnson 3-52)

Dunnington 204-9 (B Johnson 60, A Iyer 69, A Hewitt 3-44)

Pudsey Congs won by 132 runs

Farsley v Pudsey Congs

At Red Lane

Saturday June 4th, 2011

Match Ball Sponsor – Moira Carr

Match report by John Taylor

Congs slumped to their fourth defeat of the season to the league leaders Farsley at Red Lane.  After been asked to bat, Farsley made a quick start and were 47-0 from the first 10 overs.  Eugene Burzler was then switched to bowl from the pavilion end bowling Frankland in his second over from that end.  A second bowling change, Naveed returning in the seventeenth over, immediately brought the second wicket, the Farsley captain Ian Philliskirk judged to be lbw for 4, with the score on 69.

Then followed what proved to be a match winning partnership.  The in-form Lorenzo Ingram joined the opener Steve Simpson in a stand of 110, including a 6 from Ingram which caused some expensive sounding damage to the roof of the house over the fence.  At this point a final total of around 270 looked probable for Farsley.  However, a good fightback from the Congs bowlers saw 5 wickets fall in the last 10 overs for only 43 runs – and Farsley were bowled out with five balls left for 237. Both opening bowlers finished with four wickets – Naveed 4-43 and Burzler 4-65.

Congs responded brightly, and were going well until Gareth Phillips was run out whilst attempting a quick single with the score at 46.  A hastily re-written batting order saw Eugene Burzler in at three, possibly an attempt to boost the scoring rate which quickly backfired when he was caught for 18.  Meanwhile at the other end Josh Atkinson was playing a patient innings with his 50 coming off 90 balls. However a disastrous period for Congs ensued – with the score at 113 three wickets fell in quick succession which left the game effectively over.  At 113-6 a further 125 runs were needed in the last 19 overs. A rescue attempt from Eddie Walmsley and Glenn Roberts saw 50 runs shared for the seventh wicket and ensured that Congs would at least take away three batting bonus points from the match.  A fourth bonus point was also in sight but, as was the case against Undercliffe, the last wicket fell agonisingly short of 200.  Congs had been bowled out for 195, leaving Farsley the victors by 42 runs.

Farsley 237 all out (49.1 overs) (Steve Simpson 84, Lorenzo Ingram 68, Muhammad Naved 4-43, Eugene Burzler 4-65)

Pudsey Congs 195 all out (47.4 overs) (Josh Atkinson 52, Glenn Roberts 35, Andrew Duckworth 3-29, Ian Philliskirk 3-43)

Farsley 20pts bt Pudsey Congs 8pts by 42 runs


Bowling Old Lane v Pudsey Congs

Sovereign Healthcare Priestley Cup Second Round

At Birch Lane, West Bowling

Monday May 30th, 2011

Match Ball Sponsor – N/A

Match report by John Taylor

Congs are through to the quarter finals of the Priestley Cup, winning a rain affected match at Birch Lane against Bowling Old Lane.  Arriving at the ground in an incessant drizzle at midday most eyes were on the rule book, and what to do in the event of a bowl-out or toss of the coin. Tea was taken early and the start scheduled for 15:25 to allow 30 overs per side, with each bowler allowed a maximum of six overs. Congs batted first and made the worst possible start – Gareth Phillips bowled by Najeeb from the fourth ball for no score. Babar Butt then played a patient innings of 48 from 77 balls, losing batting partners at regular intervals before being judged to be lbw with the score on 115 with four overs left. Late boundaries from Eddie Walmsley (24 not out from 23 balls) and Glen Roberts (16 from 13 balls) boosted the total, and Congs finished on 147 from their 30 over.

In reply Old Lane hit out from the start with 20 coming from the first two overs. Wickets in consecutive overs from Eugene Burzler saw them reach 41-2 in the sixth over – well in excess of the required average run rate, although by this time the late evening sun was beginning to shine and there was no realistic chance of the game not finishing. The game was won between the 10th and 20th overs. With Old Lane at 56-3 a cup upset was certainly still on the cards; with only 26 runs for the loss of another two wickets the run rate began to rise dramatically. Glen Roberts bowling from the scoreboard end of the ground took three wickets in successive maiden overs, finishing with figures of 3-9 from his five overs. Some late resistance from the 10th wicket pair saw Old Lane close at 118-9 from their 30 overs, with Congs winning by 29 runs.

Teams through to the last eight are:
Bradford and Bingley; Cleckheaton; East Bierley; Idle; Manningham Mills; Pudsey Congs; Pudsey St Lawrence; and Woodlands.


Pudsey Congs 147-7 (Babar Butt 48)

Bowling Old Lane 118-9 (Glenn Roberts 3-9)

Pudsey Congs bt Bowling Old Lane by 29 runs


Pudsey Congs v East Bierley

At the Britannia Ground

Saturday May 28th, 2011

Match Ball Sponsor – Adrian Carr

Match report by John Taylor

Congs got back to winning ways with a 5 wicket win over East Bierley at the Britannia Ground.  East Bierley batted first and made a steady start, reaching 47-2 in the 15th over with both openers back in the pavillion.  Wickets fell at regular intervals through the innings and this, together with a slow scoring rate, helped to restrict the final total.  Eddie Walmsley (3-34) and Eugene Burzler (3-46) were the chief wicket takers, and Bierley finished on 164-9 from their 50 overs.

In reply Congs were reduced to 25-4 from the first 10 overs, two wickets to each of the openers Azhar Ullah and Ahmed.  A partnership of 73 for the fourth wicket from Gareth Phillips (52) and Babar Butt (53 not out) then rescued the situation.  Phillips dominated the partnership with 44, with Butt playing an anchor role which saw him still in the middle at the end of the innings.  Bierley’s search for wickets saw the return of Azhar Ullah from the Intake Road end. Phillips was dropped in the slips before being caught behind from the last ball of the over.  Following the fall of the fifth wicket, Butt continued to anchor the innings.  He received good support from Walmsley, and they saw Congs home with an unbroken partnership of 67 to win by 5 wickets with three overs to spare.


East Bierley 164-9 (50 overs) (Lee Goddard 42, Edward Warmsley 3-34, Eugene Burzler 3-46)

Pudsey Congs 165-5 (47 overs) (Gareth Phillips 52, Babar Butt 53no, Edward Walmsley 34no,)

Pudsey Congs 16pts bt East Bierley 4pts by 5wkts


Pudsey Congs v Undercliffe

At the Britannia Ground

Saturday May 21st, 2011

Match Ball Sponsor – Sam Miller

Match report by John Taylor

Congs slumped to their third defeat of the season of this young season against Undercliffe. On a windy and overcast day, Undercliffe won the toss and elected to bat.  They made slow progress, Alex Hewitt claiming the wickets of both openers to make the score 16-2 in the eighth over.  Two big partnerships of 67 for the third and 58 for the fourth wicket gave the initiative back to Undercliffe.  This was boosted by some big hitting towards the end with balls flying out of the ground 72 runs came from the last ten overs in an unbroken sixth wicket partnership of 74. Undercliffe finished on 244-5 from their 50 overs.

In reply Congs kept pace with Undercliffe’s scoring rate but lost wickets at regular intervals.  At 95-6 with 23 overs left the match looked over, but a 91 run partnership between Babar Butt and Eugene Burzler threatened to turn the tide. Butt’s 50 came off 91 balls, and Burzler’s from 55 before both were out in quick succession.  Cong’s then crumbled, the last three wickets falling in the last three overs for only six runs.


Undercliffe 244-5 (50 overs) (Callum Geldart 84, Nawaz Sardar 59no)

Pudsey Congs 199 all out (47.2 overs) (Babar Butt 67, Tom Hudson 4-56, Yassir Abbas 3-66)

Undercliffe 20pts bt Pudsey Congs 5pts by 45 runs


  Morley v Pudsey Congs

Sovereign Healthcare Priestley Cup First Round

At Scatchard Lane

Sunday May 15th, 2011

Match Ball Sponsor – Sue Carr

Match report by John Taylor

Congs eased their way into the Second Round of the Priestley Cup with a comprehensive 105 run victory over Second Division side Morley at Scatchard Lane.  Morley won the toss and put Congs into bat in an intermittent drizzle on a wicket that suggested it might help the bowlers.  Congs made a promising start, with Gareth Phillips (50 from 76 balls) and Josh Atkinson sharing an opening stand of 106 before Atkinson was caught for 49.  Morley’s slower bowlers then dried up the runs – Congs losing five wickets for nine runs in the space of nine overs either side of the halfway point.  A seventh wicket partnership of 40 between Eddie Walmsley and Andy Siddall, together with some late boundaries, saw 62 runs come from the last 10 overs and allowed Congs to post 199-9 from their 50 overs.

In reply Morley re-jigged their batting line-up to give themselves the chance of a good start.  They exceeded the required run rate for the first 15 overs, a match winning position should the match have been washed out at that stage.  From then on some tight bowling strangled Morley out of the game; Glen Roberts (3-17) and Richie Lamb (3-21) bowling in partnership conceded 32 from the next 16 overs, taking six wickets between them at regular intervals.  Lamb bowled out his allotted ten overs and Naveed was brought back at the Scatcherd Lane end of the ground.  He needed only one over to take the remaining two wickets, finishing with figure of 3-16 from his six overs, with Morley bowled out for 94 from 32 overs.

The next round of the Priestley Cup will be played on Bank Holiday Monday 30th May, and we wait to see who our opponents may be following the outcome of the draw.  Of the 16 remaining teams there are 8 apiece from the First and Second Divisions. 


Teams through to Round 2 are:

Bowling Old Lane; Bradford and Bingley; Cleckheaton; East Bierley; Great Horton; Hartshead Moor; Idle; Keighley; Manningham Mills; Pudsey Congs; Pudsey St. Lawrence; Saltaire; Spen Victoria; Undercliffe; Windhill; and Woodlands.


Pudsey Congs 199-9 (50 overs) (Gareth Phillips 53, Josh Atkinson 49, Kashif Naveed 4-31)

Morley 94 all out (32.0 overs) (Muhammad Naved 3-16, Glenn Roberts 3-17, Richie Lamb 3-21)

Pudsey Congs bt Morley by 105 runs

Cleckheaton v Pudsey Congs

At Chain Bar, Moorend

Saturday May 14th, 2011

Match Ball Sponsor – Cliff Bales

Match report by John Taylor

Congs made it two wins from two with a low scoring win against Cleckheaton at Moorend.  On a pitch affected by last week’s rain, Congs were put into bat – a good decision as Cleckheaton quickly reduced them to 9-2. Gareth Phillips and Adam Patel then put together a patient third wicket partnership of 53, although things could have been different if Iain Wardlaw hadn’t overstepped the line when bowling Phillips with the score on 29. Wickets then fell at regular intervals throughout the innings, the only other partnership of note being 30 for the eighth wicket between Andrew Bairstow and Alex Hewitt.  Bairstow’s 37 not out was the highlight of the innings, making it seem an easy pitch to bat on, and eventually lifting the total to 135 all out from 48 overs.

In reply Cleckheaton made a very slow start and had only 5 from 9 overs when Mohammed Naveed made the first breakthrough, having Marcus Walmsley caught behind.  It could have been two in two, the new batter been put down in the slips the next ball.  Cleckheaton continued to score slowly and the wickets began to fall – an excellent catch by Barbar Butt in the slips got rid of John Wood who had briefly threatened to hit Cleckheaton out of trouble – whilst Richie Lamb bowled well to finish with figures of 5-38 from 12 overs, and also running out Ian Wood with a direct hit to finish the match.  Cleckheaton were bowled out for 91 in only 38 overs, leaving Congs the winners by 44 runs.


Pudsey Congs 135 all out (47.1 overs) (Andrew Bairstow 37no, Gareth Phillips 33)

Cleckheaton 91 all out (38.0 overs) (Richie Lamb 5-38)

Pudsey Congs 16pts bt Cleckheaton 5pts by 44 runs


Photos courtesy of Peter Marsh  

Pudsey Congs v Manningham Mills

At the Britannia Ground

Saturday May 7th, 2011

Match Ball Sponsor – David J Carr

Match report by John Taylor

Congs got back to winning ways with a close fought win against Manningham Mills at the Britannia Ground.  In a rain affected match, reduced to 40 overs per side, Congs got off to a steady start reaching 52 by the halfway stage.  Josh Atkinson and Andrew Bairstow then shared a 95 run partnership from only 68 balls before two wickets fell in the 36th over.  Some big hitting from Eddie Walmsley and Andy Siddall saw 49 runs come from the last four overs and boosted the score to 216-6.

In reply Mills suffered a disastrous start, with Mohammed Naveed taking a wicket from the first ball of the innings and Alex Hewitt further reducing them to 12-2 in the 8th over.  What appeared to be a likely match-winning third wicket partnership of 116, between the overseas player Imran Khalid and Gulsheraz Ahmed, was broken by Naveed – the first wicket of his hat-trick including a caught and bowled, and two lbws.  The match hung in the balance at that stage, but the combination of some good bowling and some indifferent batting saw Mills bowled out for 190, Glenn Roberts (4-38) and Mohammed Naveed (4-52) causing the major damage.


Pudsey Congs 216-6 (40 overs) (Josh Atkinson 62, Andrew Bairstow 59)

Manningham Mills 190 all out (38.4 overs) (Glen Roberts 4-38, Muhammad Naved 4-52)

Pudsey Congs 19pts bt Manningham Mills 6pts by 26 runs


Photos courtesy of Peter Marsh  

Gomersal v Pudsey Congs

At Oxford Road

Saturday April 30th, 2011

Match Ball Sponsor – Wood Mitchell Building Group

Match report by Ralph Middlebrook

A poor batting display left Congs at the wrong end of the result and indeed the table, after suffering a superb century from Gomersal opener Andy Gorrod. The home team manufactured a reasonable total against an attack which bowled too many bad balls, which almost every time found their way to the boundary for either 4 or 6. Gorrod’s innings showed composure, good decision making and an excellent range of shots. Naveed and Roberts were the pick of the bowlers but Hewitt and Walmsley also played their part. Captain Andrew Bairstow, keeping wicket, showed that he had not lost any of his skill in an ardous day in the field. 196 was an achievable score but no Congs batter settled to play a long substantial innings such as the one they had just witnessed. Left arm spinner Ben Platt worked his way through the Congs line up although Josh Atkinson played well initially. Alot of work needs to be done to improve the situation, although the season is still in its infancy.


                      Gomersal 196-8 (50 overs) (Andy Gorrod 111no, Shabbir Rashid 42, Muhammad Naveed 6-52)

Pudsey Congs 129 all out (38.2 overs) (Ben Platt 6-42)

Gomersal 18pts bt Pudsey Congs 5pts by 67 runs



Pudsey Congs v Farsley

At the Britannia Ground

Sunday April 24th, 2011

Match report

Farsley continued their fine start to the season when they scored a crushing nine-wicket win over Pudsey Congs in the opening game of this season’s Dyson Insulations Twenty/20 Cup.

The Red Lane side raced past Pudsey Congs’ score of 119-8 in just 12.3 overs. Openers Steve Simpson (64) and Andrew Duckworth (35no) shared a first-wicket stand of 99.

Farsley reached their target without needing to utilise the battings skills of the in-form Lorenzo Ingram or skipper ian Philliskirk. Simpson smashed four sixes and four fours as he raced to his half century in just 26 balls. He was particularly severe on Congs’ overseas paceman Mohammed Naveed whose three overs cost 41 runs.

The Congs batsmen were never able to cut loose against some disciplined Farsley bowling. Leg-spinner Joe Greaves (3-5) was the most successful bowler while Chris Henry (0-15 in four overs and Philliskirk (0-17) in three overs kept the runs down.

Pudsey Congs 119-8 (Callum Oliver 33, Joe Greaves 3-5)

Farsley 121-1 (12.3 overs) (Steve Simpson 64no, Andrew Duckworth 35no)

Farsley 4pts bt Pudsey Congs 0pts by 9wkts

Pudsey Congs v Bradford & Bingley

At the Britannia Ground

Saturday April 23rd, 2011

Match Ball Sponsor – Baker Harding

Match report by Ralph Middlebrook

Gareth Phillips made a hurricane start to this fixture playing delightful shots off both James Davies and Richard McCarthy. McCarthy then adjusted his length and posed many problems for the Congs batters, working through the early and middle order in masterful fashion aided by some indifferent shots and smart fielding. Phillips fell for 46 and Andy Siddall played well for 42 with only Burzler and Roberts offering any futher assistance. Congs bowlers did not appear to appreciate McCarthy’s length as they overpitched and bowled short with only Glenn Roberts providing any control. Ghany powered his to an attractive century with the other batters prepared to stay in support. He reached his hundred with the match winning hit as the Wagon Lane outfit were to strong for the Congs on this days showing.


Pudsey Congs 141 all out (34.2 overs) (Gareth Phillips 46, Andy Siddall 42, Richard McCarthy 5-43)

Bradford & Bingley 143-2 (25.2 overs) (Naweed Ghany 101no)

Bradford & Bingley 16pts bt Pudsey Congs 2pts by 8wkts


Woodlands v Pudsey Congs

At Albert Terrace

Saturday April 16th, 2011

Match Ball Sponsor – Derrick Reason

Match report by Ralph Middlebrook


Congs 1st Xl battle it out to win an important match at Woodlands. Naveed bowling with pace, fire and accuracy wrecked the home side, showing just how much he has been missed these last two years. The younger looking side fielded with energy and purpose but it was Glenn Roberts who applied the knock out blow with 3 vital wickets.113 for Woodlands, not a great score? On the best pitch at Woodlands we have played on, it should have been a formality but a succession of loose shots made it hard going. Gareth Phillips got a snorter to be LBW but new Captain Andrew Bairstow played with care and freedom to take us to the brink of victory. New signing Eddie Walmsley showed his qualities in an almost faultless determined innings, showing the value of patience and excellent shot selection to finish on 28 not out, very well played. Andrew and his men were cock a hoop with result, justifiably so.

Woodlands 113 (34.4 overs) – Scott Richardson 33, Muhammad Naveed 6-32, Glenn Roberts 3-4

Pudsey Congs 116-6 – Andrew Bairstow 37, Pieter Swanepoel 4-40

Pudsey Congs 15pts bt Woodlands 3pts by 4wkts

bottom of page