top of page

2012 First XI

Final League Position = 6th, 219 Points

Pudsey Congs v Cleckheaton

At Britannia Ground

Saturday September 15th, 2012

Match Ball Sponsor – Sam Miller

Match report by John Taylor

Pudsey Congs ended the season on a high, beating championship chasing Cleckheaton on the final day of the season at a sunny Britannia Ground.

With four teams in with a chance of winning the title, and needing full points from the game, it was no surprise when Cleckheaton won the toss and elected to bat.  Making a blistering start, they attacked the bowling from the word go, and it was only thanks to some economical bowling from Richie Lamb from the Swinnow end of the ground that the scoring was kept at manageable levels in the first ten overs. Thereafter the scoring rate was slowed, in no small part due to Edward Walmsley who finished with figures of 3-43 from his fifteen overs.  He did much to stifle the Cleckheaton batsmen and ensured that scoring remained sporadic.  The innings closed at 211-7 ensuring that Cleckheaton finished with four batting points, and with one eye fixed on other matches remained firmly on course to overtake Woodlands at the top of the league should they bowl out Congs.

With some early hitting in the opening overs, coupled with opener Nick Lindley (79) and Andrew Bairstow (53) sharing a third wicket partnership of 93, the game looked like Pudsey’s to lose – which they very nearly conspired to do.  A middle order collapse of four wickets for 29 at the worst possible moment swung the game towards Cleckheaton, although by this stage other results had already ended their title ambitions.  Late cameos from Babar Butt and Glenn Roberts swung the game back in Congs’ favour and a nervy finish saw victory come with four balls to spare – Congs winning by 3 wickets.

Despite being rooted in the bottom half of the table (indeed in the relegation places) for much of the season, Congs surged up the league in the final weeks of the season to finish in sixth place, only one position lower than the previous season.  In what has been a stop-start season Congs had six games abandoned due to the wet weather- three which were completely washed out.  In between some exciting cricket was played, usually by falling into a mid-innings hole and scrambling desperately back out of it – a game plan which despatched Woodlands and Cleckheaton in recent weeks, and very nearly accounted for Lightcliffe as well.

Lightcliffe v Pudsey Congs

At Wakefield Road

Sunday September 9th, 2012

Match Ball Sponsor – Derrick Reason

Match report by John Taylor

On another glorious late summers day Congs fought out a close-contest at Wakefield Road, with Lightcliffe maintaining their faint championship hopes with a 7-run victory.

Winning the toss and batting first Lightcliffe made an excellent start, with an opening stand of 163 between Alex Lees (103) and Chris Taylor (75).  A mammoth score of around 300 was looking likely before Ed Walmsley (1-48 from 15) did much to peg Lightcliffe back, helped in no small part with three run-outs.   A final score of 254-7 ensured maximum bonus points for Lightcliffe.

In reply Congs were never really up with the required run rate, despite a second wicket partnership of 115 between Babar Butt (72 from 62 balls) and Basil Akram (60 from 137 balls).  Some late hitting boosted the score, and with only 19 runs needed from the final over a spectacular comeback looked on.  However, Congs fell 7 runs short of the target.

Farsley v Pudsey Congs

At Red Lane

Saturday September 8th, 2012

Match Ball Sponsor – Alison Marsh

Match report by John Taylor

Following on from last weekend’s last over thriller, Congs made it two wins in two with a relatively comprehensive 6 wicket win away at Farsley.

With Farsley batting first in attempt to gain maximum batting points, there was excitement in the third over, with both openers given second chances – first Laidlaw bowled off a no-ball then Duckworth put down in the slips.  Some shoddy fielding throughout the innings was again an unwelcome feature for Congs. From the early let-offs Farsley seemed to prosper, and were scoring at nearly five runs an over in the early stages.  Duckworth was first out, lbw to Walmsley for 37 in the 16th over; at this stage a huge total looked on the cards.  At 120-2 with 20 overs left 250+ still looked likely, before the spinners Walmsley and Roberts slowed the run rate and precipitated a middle-order collapse – from 160-2 to 174-6 and from then on the innings limped along.  After 50 overs Farsley were 211-7 and given their position in the middle of the innings were well short on runs,  Walmsley (3-42 from 15 overs) and Roberts (3-34 from 9) being the main reason why.

In reply Congs were quickly two down for 34 – Lindley adjudged to be lbw to Henry and Phillips caught out of his ground at the non-strikers end with the bowler diverting the ball back onto the stumps.   The main entertainment in the innings was the fourth wicket partnership between Andrew Bairstow and Eugene Burzler – dominated by Bairstow with 101. His fifty came from 65 balls, the 100 partnership came up in only 100 balls and his century in only 96.  When Bairstow was bowled for 101 the score was 192-4 and Congs were in touching distance of victory, which duly came with eight and a half overs to spare.

Following their recent run of results, Congs now find themselves in sixth place in the table, and seemingly more than capable of emulating last season’s fifth place, despite languishing in the bottom half of the table for much of this year.  With games to come against third-placed Lightcliffe and second-placed Cleckheaton (after beating Woodlands), Congs have shown that they will still have a big say in where the title goes this season.

Pudsey Congs v Woodlands

At Britannia Ground

Saturday September 1st, 2012

Match Ball Sponsor – Mr MB Knight and Mrs B Wells

Match report by John Taylor

Pudsey Congs scored a vital, last-over win over leaders Woodlands at the Britannia Ground today; chasing 201 for victory Congs reached the target with one wicket and only one ball to spare.

Winning the toss and electing to field, Congs had to wait for the 11th over for Frankland to play on to his stumps to get the breakthrough. The key innings for Woodlands was that of Chris Brice, who made 73, including 9-4s and 2-6s; this was despite living a charmed existence being dropped on 5 and 39.  In general the fielding of Congs was poor, with the exception of a brilliant diving catch from keeper Barney Gibson to dismiss Scott Richardson.  The final score of 201-8 gave Congs four bonus points and a fighting chance of a successful run chase.

In reply Congs made a lightning fast start and were 20 after the first three overs.  The highlight of the early part of the innings was 55 from opener Nick Lindley, coming from 81 balls with 7-4s and 2-6s.  He was out caught at point in the 24th over to leave Congs at 82-3, needing another 120 to win.  Thereafter scoring slowed and with 15 overs left a further 87 were still needed. With wickets falling at regular intervals, Congs’ hopes seemed to have been extinguished when Walmsley was seventh out with the score on 156; another 46 runs needed in less than five overs.  The scoreboard kept clicking, with some good running and the occasional boundary, before Glenn Roberts was bowled to leave the score 182-8 with 20 still needed from two overs.  Some big hitting from Richie Lamb had kept Congs in the game before he was ninth out with the score on 188. With 11 needed from the final over Woodlands were still favourites.  Two singles and two boundaries brought the scores level on the fourth ball of the over.  The final pair of Barney Gibson and Mushy Shah scampered through for a single from the penultimate ball to give Congs an unlikely victory, continuing their excellent recent record against the champions.

Also, a view from the sideline…..

Thanks to the sixteen year olds Barney Gibson and Mushy Shah, Congs took 18 points in a pulsating finish against the League leaders. Pulsating in the last 2 overs because, sad to say, we were not very good. Dropped catches (non overly difficult) and shoddy ground fielding rightly earned the team a roasting at tea from Captain Glenn Roberts. Eddie Walmsley persevered, bowling at the death, Eugine Burzler struck but in truth the bowling was wayward. The exception to this was the glovework of keeper Gibson, no byes (vital at the end of the game) and a magnificent full length diving catch. Nick Lindley batted again with his customary freedom and skill, and it was a big setback when he was caught at square point. Burzler batted again with determination, he is playing spin bowling better each week and Ritchie Lamb blasted his way to give the Congs a slim chance. Woodlands conceded 9 byes and Gibson and Shah took that chance with calmness and skill well beyond their years, well done. A great game for the neutral, a great win for us – onwards and most importantly upwards.


Hanging Heaton v Pudsey Congs

At Bennett Lane

Saturday August 25th, 2012

Match Ball Sponsor – Adrian Carr

Match report by Ralph Middlebrook

A quality batting performance (when was that last reported?) ensured 5 bonus points as a fluent classy opening partnership of 77 by Lindley and Akram, both players timing the ball beautifully and with good shot selection gave us a cracking base for a big score. Rain frustrated batters and bowlers alike, all the remaining batters enjoyed good batting conditions on a perfect pitch. Bairstow, Burzler and Walmsley all played with care and confidence to gather runs throughout and as soon as maximum points was achieved, Captain Roberts declared and for the final time it rained and the match was abandoned. A really top notch all round team performance. It was also good to welcome back scorer John Taylor after his Olympic adventure.

Pudsey Congs v Pudsey St Lawrence

At Britannia Ground

Saturday August 18th, 2012

Match Ball Sponsor – Tony Booth

Match report is not available


Morley Phoenix v Pudsey Congs


At Wagon Lane

Thursday August 16th, 2012

Match Report courtesy of the Bradford League


Pudsey Congs 2012 Dyson Insulations Twenty/20 Champions

Pudsey Congs won the Dyson Insulations Twenty/20 Cup for the first time when they beat brave Morley Phoenix by just nine runs in tonight’s final. An unbeaten 54 from Babar Butt enabled Congs to recover from a poor start to post a total of 163-5. Morley were in the hunt as long as their overseas player Kashif Naveed was at the wicket. He made 66 off 45 balls, but after he departed Morley lost wickets chasing quick runs and were dismissed for 154. The Division Two side could feel proud of their performance in their first cup final under the Wagon Lane lights as once again the competition was treated to a thrilling finale.

Skipper Glenn Roberts, who like Babar Butt was playing in his last major final for Congs, took 2-11 and was well supported by Nick Lindley (3-21) and Edward Walmsley (2-22.) Young paceman Matthew Dowse made an important early breakthrough when Pudsey Congs batted first. He had the in-form Nick Lindley caught by Richard Winn to reduce Congs to 4-1. Nathan Bromby, who had one season with Pudsey Congs in 2007, produced a good new-ball spell of 4-1-18-1. His one wicket was that of Gareth Phillips who was trapped lbw for 18 to reduce Congs to 27-2. Andrew Bairstow and Eugene Burzler knew they had to stabilise the innings after the loss of Lindley and Phillips who had shared a first-wicket stand of 150 in Tuesday’s semi-final against East Bierley. They brought up the 50 in the ninth over when Dave Nebard joined overseas player Kashif Naveed in an all-spin attack. They took their stand to 52 before the experienced Winn struck in his second over. He had Andrew Bairstow caught by wicketkeeper Luke Heinemann for 24. Morley’s bowlers were doing an excellent job, just as they had in the semi-final win over Woodlands, and with eight overs of their innings remaining, Congs were 80-3. One run later and Morley struck another big blow. Eugene Burzler, who had made, 28 was caught by Adam Larkin from the bowling of Nebard. With their four top batsmen back in the pavilion, Congs desperately needed their veteran batsman Babar Butt to deliver if they were to post a challenging total. The 100 finally came up off 89 balls when Edward Walmsley got off the mark with a boundary from the bowling of James McNichol. Butt and Walmsley moved the score onto 123 before Walmsley was run out to reduce Congs to 123-5. Butt and Roberts knew they had to boost the scoring rate in the closing five overs. Butt was the main aggressor and the the 150 came up from the final ball of the 19th over. Butt completed his 50 off 34 balls with his seventh four. His innings also included two sixes. Congs took 13 runs from the final over of their innings which was bowled by off spinner Nebard. Butt finished 54 not out and his partnership with Roberts was worth 40. The captain’s contribution was just three. Morley’s bowlers stuck to their task well but they may well have been disappointed not to restrict Congs to a smaller score after reducing them to 81-4.

Roberts opened the bowling with his left-arm spin as Morley chased 164 to become the first Division Two side to win the Dyson Insulations Twenty/20 Cup. Six runs came from the opening over as openers Gary Wainwright and Mc Nichol looked to give their side a good start against the new ball. Richie Lamb shared the attack and Morley gathered five runs from his opening six deliveries. Roberts was determined to keep things tight with the fielding restrictions in place and just four runs from his second over meant the required rate had climbed to almost nine an over. Morley lost their first wicket on 19 when Lamb trapped the promising left-hander McNichol lbw for seven. His dismissal brought in the Morley dangerman Kashif Naveed. He has a fine record in the Dyson Insulations Twenty/20 Cup and another big innings would prove very timely. Roberts removed himself from the attack and gave young off spinner Edward Walmsley an early bowl. His opening over yielded eight runs. With Morley 34-1, leg-spinner Mushy Shah joined Walmsley to form an all-spin attack. Shah, who took three wickets in the semi-final win over East Bierley, needed to settle on to a line quickly. Wainwright and Naveed brought up the 50 off 47 balls as Morley began to increase their scoring rate. Congs needed to check the progress of the second-wicket pair and with the score on 61 Walmsley trapped Wainwright lbw for 13. Naveed was looking a big threat as he moved into the 30s, but new batsman Adam Larkin lasted just two balls before being bowled by Walmsley for a duck as Morley slipped to 72-3. The off spinner finished his tidy spell with figures of 2-22. Skipper Matthew Baxter arrived at the wicket knowing that his side’s hopes rested on his and Naveed’s shoulders.  Naveed brought up his 50 off 38 balls with two sixes and five Morley reached 95-3 with seven overs to go. Naveed’s sixth four then brought up the 100. It meant 64 were needed from 36 balls. Naveed moved on to 60 with his seventh four as Morley continued to reduce their target. It was down to 49 from 30 balls as the game entered its decisive phase. With the total of 120 Morley suffered a body blow. Naveed was trapped lbw by Nick Lindley for an excellent 66. Wicketkeeper Luke Heinemann joined Baxter knowing that there was no time to play himself in. with 39 needed from four overs. Butt was introduced to the attack as the sixth bowler and his first over yielded only six runs. It meant 33 were needed from the last three overs. Congs were sensing victory when skipper Roberts returned to the attack to bowl his counterpart Baxter for 22. When Roberts struck again with his next ball to bowl Dave Nebard, the end was in sight for brave Morley. Heinemann struck two fours as he tried to keep Morley in the hunt. He had made 13 when he was bowled by Lindley. The wickets continued to tumble as 144-7 became 144-8 with Nathan Bromby being caught and bowled by Lindley first ball. Morley need 19 from the last over and they suffered another setback when young george Robson was run out. Richard Winn hammered a big six to give Morley’s supporters something to cheer. A single left Morley wanting ten from two balls. But the game ended with Roberts bowling Matthew Dowse for a golden duck. Morley were all out for 154 and had lost by nine runs.


East Bierley v Pudsey Congs

At Wagon Lane

Tuesday August 14th, 2012

Match report by Glen Duffield

A beautiful sunny night greeted the two teams at Wagon Lane as this much anticipated, much delayed, Dyson Insulations Twenty/20 Semi Final was finally played.

East Bierley won the toss and decided to field on what appeared to be a fast, dry wicket that had the potential to score runs at a quick pace. What happened next was a thing of beauty as Congs openers Gareth Phillips and Nick Lindley set about the East Bierley attack. The first 100 deliveries were dispatched with aplomb without a wicket been lost. Lindley and Phillips put on 150 for the opening stance before Gareth was bowled by Anjum. A strike rate of 130.19 including 10 fours and 2 sixes by Phillips was topped by Lindley (156.25, 7 fours and 3 sixes) in the incredible first 15 overs. After Phillips was out for 69 and Lindley was run out for 75, Bairstow and Burzler finished off the allotted overs, both not out, to leave the Congs in the driving seat at 215 for 2.

In response, the East Bierley batters came and went from the crease quite quickly and at regular intervals with the only resistance from Rao Anjum who scored a quick-fire 68 from 34 balls faced, an impressive strike rate over 200.00. Congs spread the bowling out between six players with Mushy Shah picking up 3 wickets from his four overs bowled and Nick Lindley, yes Nick, enjoying a cameo appearance that wielded 2 wickets in just 2.1 overs. East Bierley were all out for 173 after 19.1 overs.

Whilst the Congs fight for their Division one life in League play, the Twenty/20 Competition offers us a shot at capturing silverware for the 2012 season. The Final of the competition is slated for this Thursday, August 16th commencing at 8.00pm at Wagon Lane v Morley Phoenix.



The first Saturday with all 4 teams achieving victory, each in its own way very important. I was present at Intake Road (Undercliffe not Pudsey) to see a determined effort in all aspects leading in the end to a comfortable win, although it did not feel comfortable at the time. The game was a good advert for the Bradford League, class skill, endeavour from start to finish. At 120 for 0, thanks to a quality innings from Geldart well supported by Bottomley, the outlook was grim. Well as we bowled, they were in charge, but the introduction of Akram changed the situation and each bowler took credit from the effort that restricted Undercliffe to 200 on a good pitch and fast outfield. Well marshaled by Glenn and special mentioned of the young keeper B Butt Esq must be made, a stylish and effective performance. At 2 for 2, again things looked bleak (both batters out to good deliveries). Phillips and Bairstow commenced a fightback with both not spurning any opportunity to score with quality boundaries. Burzler looked solid, determined but again not hesitating to take boundaries or maximums. Butt hung on finding it difficult to score, but he battled on realising the importance of occupying the crease. Roberts entered and made batting look easy, which it was not, and finished the game off with a flourish. The players mentioned excelled although each player contributed to the overall team effort which on this vital occasion was heartening indeed. A TOP win, much needed, very well done.

Pudsey Congs v Manningham Mills

At Britannia Ground

Saturday August 4th, 2012

Match Ball Sponsor – The National Fostering Agency

Match report by Glen Duffield

Congs openers Nick Lindley (56) and Basil Akram (21) started out steadily as Lindley maintained his good form for the Congs, but only Babar Butt (34) was able to build on his good work as Congs finished on 200-8 as Gulsheraz Ahmed took 3-45 and Zeeshan Qasim (3-62).

Once gain, the Congs were let down as the batters were unable to reel in a modest total and the defeat plunges us in a battle at the wrong end of the table. Fortunately the gap at the bottom has widened to seven points with results at Undercliffe and Farsley going our way.


East Bierley v Pudsey Congs

At South View Road

Tuesday July 31st, 2012

Match report by Glen Duffield

East Bierley and Pudsey Congs will have to play it again after the second semi-final of this season’s Dyson Insulations Twenty/20 Cup had to be abandoned after just 8.2 overs play at South View Road.

Pudsey Congs, who were batting first, were 68-2 at the time when rain forced umpires Jim Gomersall and David Sutcliffe to call a halt. Opener Nick Lindley had been dismissed for 48 just before play was halted.

The teams will now try to play the game again next Tuesday with the winners going forward to the final at Bradford & Bingley on Thursday, August 16 against Division Two side Morley who have already knocked out Pudsey St Lawrence and Woodlands.

Bradford and Bingley v Pudsey Congs

At Wagon Lane

Saturday July 28th, 2012

Match Ball Sponsor – The National Fostering Agency

Match report by Ralph Middlebrook

There is little doubt about our situation now as defeat plunges the Congs in to a relegation avoidance battle. Bingley started quickly at 70 for none in 14 overs but the introduction of Roberts and Walmsley (now fully recovered) lowered the run rate with Walmsley deservedly collecting three wickets. How much does our team rely on Glenn with excellent figures, 15 overs for 48. Sadly after the spinners had bowled their overs, the run rate spiraled out of control and what looked like a manageble run chase, looked far more challenging. Atkinson played particularly fluently in the field.

Lindley and Gibson made a steady, cautious start (good) and the rate was not too far short of the first innings. Hhowever the the Bingley spinners worked their way through the batting order with only Captain Bairstow looking capable of an innings of substance. Roberts and Walmsley provided impetus to the innings but it was left to quick bowler Chris Doey to hit the final delivery for 4 to gain us another batting point.

Hopefully some of the pain can be lifted with victory on Tuesday at East Bierley in the 20/20 cup semi final.

In the league however there is much hard work to be done by each player.


Pudsey Congs v Hanging Heaton

Sovereign Healthcare Priestley Quarter Final

At Britannia Ground

Sunday July 22nd, 2012

Match Ball Sponsor – Michael and Tracey Hirst

Match report by Ralph Middlebrook

A sad result left the Congs able to concentrate on the league situation but it was an altogether improved performance in effort and quality. The bare facts speak for themselves – our early batters achieved double figures but did not go to record a BIG score on what was a hard dry pitch. In the field the bowlers, backed up by some good fielding, restricted the visitors damage to 218.  Plaudits go to Mushy Shah (a leg spinner), Ritchie Lamb and Basil Akram but altogether it was felt that victory should be achieved, the total certainly attainable. Heaton captain John Carruthers had other ideas in mind rotating his bowlers cleverly and the Congs failed to prosper. Akram looked class, Burzler worked hard but despite all efforts, we fell short. Sad!!!!

Names to watch for in the future are Mushy Shah and Keegan Moodley, making his first team debut. A good days cricket in sunny weather in front of a good crowd, pity about the result.

Pudsey Congs v Lightcliffe

At Britannia Ground

Saturday July 21st, 2012

Match Ball Sponsor – David Carr

Match report by Ralph Middlebrook

Lightcliffe easily overcame the Congs whose inept performance left supporters in a despondant state. Once again the batting was to blame for an under par score of 157 for 9. From 96 for 1, the Congs plunged to 119 for 6 with a mixture of ill advised shots and disputed umpires decisions which do the game no favours whatsoever. Well as the spin attack bowled, Congs were unable to find a workable method to keep the scoreboard moving. With a mystery surrounding the non bowling of our overseas pro, the Congs pace caused few problems to the Lightcliffe openers. Considering the effect of the Lightcliffe spinners, it was again a mystery as Congs second spinner was removed after only one over. Our off spinner worked hard for his wickets, a good effort as he departed for a medical checkup after the game. The word relegation has not come up much at Intake Road this Centuary, sad to say it is now being used more frequently, a poor day!

Big thanks to Ross Kettlewell who filled in for John Taylor keeping score with computer system in admirable style. Full marks must be given to Alan Birkenshaw for his help and support to Ross throughout the match.

The Congs will be looking for a huge improvement on Sunday if they are to remain in the hunt for the Priestley Cup.

Pudsey Congs v Saltaire

At Britannia Ground

Saturday July 14th, 2012

Match Ball Sponsor – Exeeco

Match report by John Taylor

In the first completed game since the heavy defeat to Pudsey St Lawrence on June 4th, Pudsey Congs received a much needed boost gaining a hard fought 34 run victory over Saltaire at the Britannia Ground.

On what appeared to be a difficult pitch to score on, Saltaire won the toss and elected to field.  An early breakthrough was made in the fourth over when Garreth Phillips was bowled for 1, and scoring remained slow throughout the innings.  The highlights of the innings were two 45 run partnerships for both the fourth and fifth wickets – Nick Lindley making 34 and captain Andrew Bairstow making it look all relatively easy with 51 from 73 balls. With the score at 122-4 with 15 overs left, an imposing score looked probable, only for an epic batting collapse saw Congs lose their last five wickets for only 26 runs.  Congs were bowled out for 156 with four overs left, meaning only two batting points.

In reply, Saltaire made a disastrous start with Irfan Amjad bowled by Naved from the third ball with the score on 0.  A second wicket partnership of 53 threatened to take the game away from Congs, before Glenn Roberts came on first change from the Intake Road end.  His third over included a hat-trick which decimated Saltaire’s early order; two wickets in consecutive overs from Richie Lamb at the opposite end saw Saltaire slump from 53-1 to 58-6 with the game effectively over. A dogged rear-guard action from the Saltaire lower order added some respectability to the score, and when captain Ijaz Khan was last out they had reached 122 and were only three runs short of a bonus point. With other results going Congs way the win lifts the team to ninth in the table on 92 points only four points above the relegation places.

Cleckheaton v Pudsey Congs

At Chain Bar, Moorend

Saturday June 30th, 2012

Match Ball Sponsor – Wood Mitchell Group

Match report by John Taylor

Pudsey Congs got the better of the points in a rain affected game at Moorend.  With Cleckheaton winning the toss and electing to field, Congs made the worst possible start with Barney Gibson bowled off the fourth ball of the innings.   Big partnerships for the second and third wicket boosted the total, with Nick Lindley making 66.

With two long rain breaks during the first innings and 22 overs lost, the game was effectively killed off as a contest.  Congs looked set to bat out their overs with eyes on full batting points.  With some late hitting from Ed Walmsley (50 not out) and Richie Lamb (34 not out) Congs reached 226-7 after 48 overs and promptly declared, leaving Cleckheaton 30 overs.

After only four overs, a combination of bad light and light drizzle forced play to be suspended;  play was abandoned shortly afterwards with the points shared

Cleckheaton 8 points and Pudsey Congs 10 points.


Pudsey Congs v Bankfoot

At Britannia Ground

Tuesday June 26th, 2012

Match report by Glen Duffield

Bankfoot 104 all out (Akib Uppal 37, Muhammad Naved 3-18)

Pudsey Congs 106-3 (Nick Lindley 49)

Pudsey Congs bt Bankfoot by 7wkts

The weather finally co-operated and cricket was played at the Britannia Ground tonight.


Pudsey Congs are the third team to make the semi-finals of the 2012 Dyson Insulations Twenty/20 Competition. They secured their place by defeating Bankfoot by seven wickets. On a beautiful looking wicket, opener Akib Uppal (37) was the only batsman to master a Congs attack spearheaded by Muhammad Naved (3-18) as they were bowled out for a modest 104. Congs were aided in the line up by three second team regulars, the “law firm” of Doey, Shah and Howe but the most dramatic change to the starting eleven saw Babar Butt don the gloves and go behind the stumps. Butt kept a fine wicket and he was rewarded with a stumping of Kamran Siddique for the 5th wicket, look out Barney!!!!!

Congs wasted no time in knocking off the required runs. Although opener Gareth Phillips was quickly back in the clubhouse sipping tea after only troubling the scorer for four runs, victory was achieved after 13 overs with opener Nick Lindley making a solid 49. Walmsley and Captain Bairstow combined for a quick fire 29 runs that saw the Congs easily surpass the Bankfoot total.

Congs are in the draw for the last four against the winners of the tie between East Bierley and holders Bradford & Bingley, with the Semi Final to be played on Tues July 10th.

Pudsey Congs v Farsley

At Britannia Ground

Saturday June 23rd, 2012

Match Ball Sponsor – Andrea David Booth

No play possible today due to the rain


Pudsey Congs v Hanging Heaton

Sovereign Healthcare Priestley Quarter Final

At Britannia Ground

Sunday June 17th, 2012

Match Ball Sponsor – Michael and Tracey Hirst

Match report by John Taylor

For the second day in a row no play was possible for Pudsey Congs. Although the weather during Sunday remained fine during the morning, there was never much chance of playing at a sodden Britannia Ground.  The match is to be re-arranged for a mutually agreed date to be confirmed. Hopefully the relatively fine weather during the rest of Sunday will prevail for much of the week and enable the ground to dry out sufficiently for what is set to be a crucial local derby with Farsley in the league next Saturday.

Woodlands v Pudsey Congs

At Albert Terrace

Saturday June 16th, 2012

Match Ball Sponsor – Joan Marsh

Match report by John Taylor

Pudsey Congs continued their good run of form against Woodlands, not having lost in three games against the champions.  Today that was mainly down to the weather, with no play possible at Albert Terrace due to near continuous rain during the morning and early afternoon.  Both teams take five points from the game, which benefits neither team in their respective positions at opposite ends of the league table.


Pudsey Congs v Hanging Heaton

At Britannia Ground

Tuesday June 12th, 2012

Match report by Glen Duffield

Hanging Heaton 72 all out (Eugene Burzler 3-8)

Pudsey Congs 73-2 (Nick Lindley 31no)

Pudsey Congs won by 8wkts

Three short days after the two club had unsuccessfully faced each other in rained out League play, Pudsey Congs and Hanging Heaton squared off in the opening round of the 2012 Dyson Insulations Twenty20 Cup. As an added incentive for this years competition, the winners of the Twenty/20 cup will be offered the chance to bid for national glory. The JCT600 Bradford League Management Board have accepted an invitation from the ECB to enter this season’s champions into the 2013 competition. The national semi-finals and finals are played on a county ground and are televised by Sky. The winning team receives an all expenses paid pre-season trip to Barbados.

With that in mind, Hanging Heaton batted first on a sprite track that looked in fine shape despite the incessant rain of the previous week. Their innings never really looked like it would take off and in fact only Lawson, Frazer and Dawood reached low double figures. The innings ended after 16.5 overs on a total of 72 all out. The wickets were equally spaced out between all five Congs bowlers with Burzler returning the best figures of 3 wickets for 8 runs in his 2.5 overs bowled.

With a small target of only 3.6 runs per over to achieve, the usual pair of Phillips and Lindley confidently strode out to the crease. Phillips was heading back to the pavilion with the score on 25 and he was quickly joined in the Clubhouse by Walmsley with the score on 30. Enter Captain Bairstow to steady the ship and a half century partnership between himself and Lindley, saw the Congs ease to victory after only 9.4 overs.

Next up in the competition is Second Division Bankfoot with the game slated to be played on Tuesday June 26th (18.30) at the Britannia Ground

Pudsey Congs v Hanging Heaton

At Britannia Ground

Saturday June 9th, 2012

Match Ball Sponsor – Sinclair Lamb

Match report by John Taylor

With heavy rain falling over the previous two days it was no surprise that today’s game at the Britannia Ground was abandoned.  With the ground damp, the start was delayed until 2pm, meaning a 40 overs per side game.  After only seven balls, however, a prolonged heavy shower forced the teams from the field and left the square underwater. No further play was possible, ensuring five points for each side.


Pudsey St Lawrence v Pudsey Congs

At Tofts Road

Monday June 4th, 2012

Match Ball Sponsor – Swinnow School (Bill Taylor)

Match report by John Taylor

The Jubilee Bank Holiday weekend proved to be two steps forward, one step back for Pudsey Congs – who now find themselves second bottom after the sixth league game.  Following Saturday’s win against Undercliffe and the league table, minus run-away leaders Woodlands, truly wide open a good performance at Tofts Road against local rivals Pudsey St Lawrence would surely guarantee Congs a couple of steps up the league ladder.

Following Sunday’s incessant heavy rain and on a greenish looking pitch, Congs once again won the toss and elected to field.  A slow start from St Lawrence saw only 54 runs come from the first 20 overs, with openers Adam Waite (26) and Mark Robertshaw (59) laying the foundations for a large score.  There were few obvious wicket taking opportunities, although Robertshaw was ‘dropped’ twice, both of which were very difficult chances and would have proved to be spectacular catches if taken. With the St Lawrence innings stuttering at 109-3 with 15 overs left, Gareth Clough (21) and Jim Smith (63 not out) shared a 55 run partnership for the fourth wicket.  It was mainly thanks to Smith, with an innings that included 3 fours and 4 sixes, that the last five overs went for 43 to boost the total to 207-6.

In reply the Congs innings never really got going; although the runs were scored at a decent enough rate wickets were also falling.  At 38-3 after 10 overs, 200 was looking an increasingly good score and batting was increasingly difficult on a pitch which was seemingly now a minefield.  With wickets continuing to fall there was little to excite the large crowd, with Congs bowled out for only 89 in just 31 overs.

Following a disappointingly early finish the one bright spot was the chance to hot foot it across to Odsal to watch the rugby – only to endure a second half performance from Bradford almost as lacklustre as the cricket.


Pudsey Congs v Undercliffe

At Britannia Ground

Saturday June 2nd, 2012

Match Ball Sponsor – Eric Thompson

Match report by John Taylor 

Pudsey Congs recorded their second successive league victory, with a 6 wicket win over Undercliffe at the Britannia Ground.

Winning the toss and electing to field, Congs would have been happy enough with the first ten overs, Undercliffe losing two wickets for 36 on the board.  A 60-run partnership for the third wicket between Callum Geldart (78) and Jack Newby (17) then threatened to swing the game towards Undercliffe.  With the score at 97-4 at the halfway stage a big total looked likely.  A late collapse saw Undercliffe lose their last 5 wickets for 7 runs in only 25 balls, leaving them all out for 165 and gifting Congs an extra two overs. The main wicket takers were Glenn Roberts (4-42) and Basil Akram (3-39).

In reply the openers built another solid platform – this week a stand of 88 before Gareth Phillips was judged to be lbw for 37.  With the run rate never a problem the scoring rate seemed to drop and a couple of wickets for Undercliffe threatened to lengthen the game; first there was some discussion over whether the ball carried, with Burzler given out with the score on 107 – still another 59 needed for victory.  Nick Lindley then provided catching practice after another good innings of 59.  A partnership of 51 for the fourth wicket between captain Bairstow (44 not out) and Basil Akram (13) took Congs to within two runs of the target.  It was left to Bairstow to overhaul Undercliffe’s total with a boundary six. 


Other results combined to go Congs way, and taking 17 points from the game lifts the team off the bottom of the table and out of the relegation places.


Manningham Mills v Pudsey Congs

At Scotchman Road

Saturday May 26th, 2012

Match Ball Sponsor – Exeeco Ltd

Manningham Mills 144 all out (38.3 overs) (Edward Walmsley 3-29, Eugene Burzler 3-39)

Pudsey Congs 148-6 (31.3 overs) (Nick Lindley 46, Eugene Burzler 37)

  Pudsey Congs 16pts bt Manningham Mills 4pts by 4wkts

Match report by John Taylor

Pudsey Congs find themselves at the wrong end of the Division One table, despite beating second placed Manningham Mills by four wickets at Scotchman Road.  The fine performance saw Congs drop one place, following Farsley’s run fest with Cleckheaton, which once again calls into question the integrity of the points system.

On another hot, early summer’s day on a fine looking pitch it was no surprise when Mills won the toss and elected to bat.  A decent start from them saw 21 come from the first four overs, before wickets in successive overs changed the complexion of the game.  With Adam Patel harshly judged lbw in the twelfth over and Adal Islam bowled by Walmsley in the fifteenth, the top order were skittled with the score at 51-4. Thereafter a potentially game changing partnership of 59 for the fifth wicket between Gulsheraz Ahmed (40) and Noman Ali (32) swung the game back towards Mills; at 110-4 with 23 overs left a huge score looked in the offing.  From then on the innings subsided and Mills were bowled out for 144 in the 39th over; top performers with the ball were Ed Walmsley (3-29 from 12 overs), Eugene Burzler (3-38 from 8 and a half overs) and Muhammed Naved (2-12 from 7 overs).

With a relatively low total to defend and gifting Congs an extra 11 overs, it was vital that Mills took early wickets.  The Congs opening pair of Phillips and Lindley looked comfortable, and it was not until the score reached 67 in the 18th over that Mills gained their first breakthrough – Lindley lbw to Gulsheraz Ahmed for 46.  The second wicket partnership added another 30, before a familiar middle order wobble – first Phillips gave Noman Ali a simple return catch followed by a rather needless run out of captain Bairstow left Congs on 98-3 needing a further 47 for victory. Further quick wickets at this stage could really have opened the game up.  This was not to be, and the fourth wicket pair added a further 32 before Basil Akram was easily stumped and he was quickly followed back to the pavillion in the next over by Burzler leaving Congs on 130-5 and suggesting that another 30 or 40 runs by Mills could have really made a game of it.  Babar Butt and Ed Walmsley took the score onto 144, scores tied, before the high farce of the points system took over – Butt bowled by Qasim going for the six that would bring an extra bonus point, having already swung and missed the previous ball.  It was left to Imran Ahmed to drive his first ball through the covers for four to ensure Congs won the match by four wickets with 29 overs left – a comprehensive victory that is only worth 16 points.



Pudsey Congs v Hartshead Moor

Sovereign Healthcare Priestley Cup Second Round

At Britannia Ground

Sunday May 20th, 2012

Match Ball Sponsor – None

Match report by John Taylor


The poor weather hopefully is now on the turn, and to prove the point the sun poked out from behind some steely grey clouds at the Britannia Ground today.  Ultimately the sun was shining on the Congs, who dispatched Hartshead Moor by 10 wickets and are now through to the quarter finals of the Priestley Cup.

Winning the toss and electing to field there was no early breakthrough for Congs, and the Hartshead openers had put together a stand of 34 before the first wicket fell in the 14th over.  Hartshead scored at a steady rate throughout the innings, and the opener Graham Hilton looked set to bat through the innings until he was bowled by Naved for 82 in the 49th over.  In between there was some economical bowling figures – Ed Walmsley 2-18 and Glenn Roberts 1-27 from their 10 over spells; with Muhammed Naved’s 1-29 figures somewhat spoilt by having to bowl the last five overs at the death going for 26.  After 50 overs Hartshead had reached 179-6, a total which did not insurmountable for the Congs.

Taking confidence from their century partnership the previous day, openers Gareth Phillips and Nick Lindley set about making light work of the target.  Congs had reached 46 after the first ten overs, despite opening bowler Dan Squire proving to be quite miserly at one end.  Thereafter the run rate began to rise, with Lindley making his 50 from 57 balls and the 100 partnership coming from 119 balls an over later. By this stage it had already started to look like ‘when’ rather than ‘if’ Congs would win; however, a couple of agricultural looking shots connecting with thin air suggested there may be a wicket or two in it for Hartshead. This wasn’t to be, and with Phillips posting 50 and the 150 partnership reached it took only another 5 overs to secure the win. Lindley passed 100 from only 92 balls and it was left to him to hit the winning boundary to claim an emphatic 10 wicket victory.

Pudsey Congs v Bradford & Bingley

At Britannia Ground

Saturday May 19th, 2012

Match Ball Sponsor – Peter Marsh

Bradford & Bingley 227 -7 (50 overs) (Simon Davies 81, Alex Atkinson 44, Muhammed Naved 3-52),

Pudsey Congs 201-7 (50 overs) (Gareth Phillips 55, Nick Lindley 54, Andrew Bairstow 30)

Bradford & Bingley 18pts bt Pudsey Congs 7pts by 26 runs

Match report by John Taylor

Pudsey Congs fell to their third successive league defeat at a chilly and damp Britannia Ground, this time at the hands of Bradford and Bingley.  Winning the toss and electing to field Pudsey would have had high hopes of reversing their current league form.

Bingley made a steady start to their innings, and their final total owed much to a 99-run partnership between Simon Davies (81) and Alex Atkinson (44) for the second wicket.  The first of a couple of highlights of the innings was two wickets in two balls from Naved to leave Bingley at 174-4 and a stunning diving catch from Eddie Walmsley.  Top performer with the ball was Muhammed Naved with 3-52 from 14 overs.  Bingley finished with 227-7 from their 50 overs.

In reply Pudsey were seemingly cruising, and at 82-0 at the halfway stage a successful run chase was looking a possibility.  Gareth Phillips (55 from 102 balls) and Nick Lindley (54 from 99 balls) shared a 109-run partnership for the first wicket partnership, whereafter the innings came to a stuttering halt.  Needing around 6 runs per over at the fall of the first wicket and with only 36 runs from the next 10 overs the run rate rose exponentially.  From a seemingly unassailable position Pudsey fell 27 runs short, although credit to the players for keeping going and reaching 200 and secure four batting bonus points.


Pudsey Congs v East Bierley

At Britannia Ground

Saturday May 12th, 2012

Match Ball Sponsor – Adrian Carr

Pudsey Congs 108 , East Bierley 109-2
East Bierley 15pts bt Pudsey Congs 1pt by 8wkts

Match report by John Taylor

Pudsey Congs find themselves rooted to the bottom of the first division this evening following another heavy defeat – this time at the hands of East Bierley.  On a pitch which looked likely to improve during the game, it was no surprise when Bierley won the toss and elected to field.

The bowlers struck on the fourth ball of the game, with the second wicket falling in the second over – both openers gone before the score had reached double figures.  Memories of Saltaire the week before came flooding back, with a couple of ill advised shots and a rather needless stumping skittling the middle order to leave Congs 41-6 just prior to the halfway mark. It was left to Muhammed Naveed (48 from 53 balls) to restore some sort of respectability to the score, including a couple of huge sixes over towards the nets.  Once Naveed was stumped the innings sauntered on until the 47th over when Congs were bowled out for 108 – still well short of a batting bonus point.  Shortly after the interval an AA van was spotted inside the Britannia Ground – unfortunately it was far too late to mend the broken down batting line up.  With the medium range weather forecast suggesting a damp May it is high time that the team learns how to bat on the damp surfaces that are proving to be the norm this year.

In reply there was some hope for Congs, with a brittle looking lower order for Bierley suggesting early wickets would hold the key.  Two wickets in the first five overs left Bierley 23-2; an unbroken 86 run partnership between Goddard and Rennison then took the game away from Congs and ensured they went down to a second heavy league defeat in a row.




Cleckheaton v Pudsey Congs

Sovereign Healthcare Priestley Cup First Round

At Chain Bar, Moorend

Sunday May 6th, 2012

Match Ball Sponsor – Barry Wilson

Cleckheaton 208-9 (Tim Jackson 65, Ian Nicholson 35, Basil Akram 3-40)

Pudsey Congs 211-6 (Nick Lindley 55, Eugene Burzler 39, John Wood 3-27)

Pudsey Congs won by 4 wkts

Match report by John Taylor


There was frost on the ground in the early morning before the first round of the Priestley Cup, this being the first week of May.  Another unseasonably cold day in the scorebox at Cleckheaton beckoned after having just thawed out from the previous day’s play at Saltaire.

Going into the game with very little expectation following the previous day’s beating at the hands of Saltaire, it was pleasantly surprising to see Congs come away from Cleckheaton with a 4 wicket win.

Winning the toss again, Congs elected to field and this seemed like a good decision when Naveed struck early to bowl Cleckheaton’s skipper John Wood in the fifth over.  A second wicket partnership of 73 between Tim Jackson and Ian Nicholson threatened to post a big total before Eddie Walmsley had Nicholson caught by Glenn Roberts in the 22nd over. At 122-3 with 30 overs left, a mammoth score still looked a possibility, before a huge slice of luck came Congs way.  The opener Jackson (65) was adjudged to be caught behind off the bowling of Richie Lamb and from that point on the Cleckheaton innings never really regained any of its former momentum.  The pace of the innings in the last 10 overs slowed, with 46 runs in that time but 28 runs from the final two overs to boost the score to 208-9.

In reply the Congs openers looked much more at home than against Saltaire, with Gareth Phillips and Nick Lindley sharing a 55 run partnership in the first 12 overs.  Two wickets in two balls from John Wood, Babar Butt lbw and Basil Akram bowled first ball, then caused a middle order wobble.  A 74 run partnership between Nick Lindley (55) and Eugene Burzler (35) steadied the innings before Lindley fell lbw to Lee leaving Congs 141-4 and needing another 67 from the last 21 overs. Having got into a good position nerves then seemed to take over. Singles were the order of the day, and two more wickets for Cleckheaton left a nervy last 11 overs with Congs still needing 27 to win.  Patient batting from Andrew Bairstow (49 not out) and Glenn Roberts (9 not out) ensured that Congs closed in on the target with a six and a four in the 45th over from Bairstow ensuring the win.  It was left to Roberts to deposit the second ball of the 46th over for 6 towards the changing rooms to ensure that Congs won by 4 wickets and are through to the next round of the cup.



Saltaire v Pudsey Congs

At Roberts Park

Saturday May 5th, 2012

Match Ball Sponsor – Cliff Bales

Saltaire 207-4 (50 overs) (Irfan Amjad 58, Fahid Rehman 46no, Tabbi Bhatti 36)

Pudsey Congs 97 (50 overs) (Eugen Burzler 33, Nawaz Sardar 4-9, Ijaz Khan 3-34)

Saltaire 18pts bt Pudsey Congs 2pts by 110 runs

Match report by John Taylor

In the delightful spring surroundings of Roberts Park, allbeit in temperatures more suited to March than May, Pudsey Congs suffered a resounding 110 run defeat to newly promoted Saltaire.

On what must be one of the quickest drying grounds in the league, Congs won the toss and elected to field.   Saltaire then proceded to build an excellent innings on a slow pitch; patience seemed to be the order of the day and the scoring rate was steady throughout.  There were few highlights for Congs, a couple of good catches by Gareth Phillips and a run out from Eddie Walmsley.  Take nothing away from Saltaire’s batsmen – the opener Irfan Amjad with 58 and Fahid Rehman 46 not out were the top performers in posting 207-4 in their 50 overs.

In reply Congs’ batsmen never really looked comfortable and the Saltaire bowlers made it look anything but easy to score 200+.  In a disastrous opening 15 overs the top order were decimated to leave Congs tetering at 17-4; at this stage 50 looked a big ask never mind 200.  A middle order rally between Eugene Burzler (33) and the extras column (22) ensured some interest during the increasingly cold evening.  However with only three batsmen making it to double figures and the extras clocking the second highest score the batting performance was just not good enough.

In the end Congs were bowled out for 97, but not before the spectators had endured nearly 46 turgid overs.  In hindsight the opening ball of the game seemed to sum up Congs’ day – a wide from Naveed and it was mostly downhill from there; indeed the highlight of the day was my visit to the bookshop in Salts Mill before the game.

bottom of page