top of page

2013 Fourth XI


Final League Position = 1st, 357 Points


Thornbury “B” v Pudsey Congs

At Daleside Road

Saturday September 14th, 2013

Match report by Alastair Goodchild

The last game of 2013 saw the 4ths travel the short distance to Thornbury.  With a virtually full strength line up the skipper had high hopes of recording a record breaking win.

Thornbury batted first and under constant cloudy skies Haris and Ahtsham opened the bowling.  After a week off Haris was unable to get into the rhythm that has been a factor in his recent bowling performances. Front foot no balls. Congs had to wait until the 14th over for the first wicket, and the first change bowlers to do the job. Iqbal prodding forward to Stuart and Haris taking an easy catch.  Pete, economical at the other end, had the second Iqbal caught at the wicket and the bowling side started to get on top.  Opener Sheikh kept things ticking over but when he was caught at slip off Zahid, a low score looked possible.  In fact Zahid’s next five overs each contained a wicket – ending with six for.  The dangerous Khan skied one to Joe at long off and he made no mistake.  Congs slightly let things slip in the last overs; a couple of spilled chances and eighteen runs taken off Zahid’s 10th over.  From 115 for nine the hosts ended just shy of 150.  Stuart taking the final wicket to end his good season agonisingly one short of 30 league wickets.

Thornbury B – 146 in 44.2 overs

Z. Mahmood 10/2/47/6

S. Jolly 10.2/1/31/3

A. Sheikh 43

So, the final stanza of the season, and Congs with a run chase on. Zahid and Ahtsham opened up facing the accurate bowling of Sohail and Kasif Iqbal.  The young Congs batters found the Thornbury attack tough at first and Ahtsham fell lbw in the fifth over.  Joe managed two flashing shots before Sohail had his second.  It quickly became three down as Stuart could not keep out a brutish Sohail delivery.  Macauley got off to a good start but got a top edge to fine leg for nine.  Enter the skipper to partner Zahid.  The usual openers rekindled their batting understanding and took the score from 34-4 to over a hundred.  Zahid reached his third consecutive fifty and the pair looked to be taking the 4s to victory.  Then, after a smoted six, Zahid tried the same shot to Sohail and was comprehensively bowled, giving the bowler his five for.  With forty runs needed and plenty of overs left it was left to the senior batters, Alastair and Robin to finish things.  After a couple of sighters, the left hander got his mojo well and truly back – a peach of a six to long off included!  Runs flowed and the Thornbury attack wilted.  A four to finish the game.  Robin in getting 25 not out reaching 500 runs for the season.  Zahid, a massive 554 league runs at 50.36.


Congs 147-5 in 35 overs

Z. Mahmood 62

R. Kettlewell 25 NOT OUT

A. Goodchild 23 NOT OUT

M. Sohail 5-48

A good end to a great season. Well done to everyone who has helped the 4s in winning the Division this season. Unbeaten in the Division.  Only two Inter Divisional losses – one against the eventual B Division

Pudsey Congs v Wibsey Park Chapel

At Fulneck

Saturday September 7th, 2013

Match report by Alastair Goodchild

The last home game of the season saw Wibsey Park Chapel visit Fulneck.  All the previous day’s rain did not look to have made too much of an impact and Dave had prepared a more than decent looking wicket.  With Haris unavailable due to an unforseen appointment, Robin took his place. Batting first it was Ahtsham that partnered Zahid.  The WPC team of only ten this week were soon chasing leather as Zahid played his shots.  Ahtsham much more reserved.  The fifty partnership was brought up in only ten overs.  When Afsar came on to replace Speight, his varied length and bounce did for Ahtsham.  A great opening stand of eighty four runs though.  In at three, Joe hoisted one huge straight six before he hit a slow low one to Tomlinson.  Zahid passed fifty for the fourth time this season and was looking set for three figures until Grantley Anderson took a good catch a slip.  Another cracking knock.  Ross and Stuart put on twenty five runs, with Stuart looking more free flowing than of late.  Speight though clung on to a high one to end his innings of 19.  Alex fell shortly after and it was left to Macauley to add another spark.  His cameo of 17 runs came up in quick time and allowed Ross to settle.  Some aggressive hitting from the U15 batter brought him 23 valuable runs before he was bowled by Tite.  The lower order managed to get the maximum batting points, and Congs looked to have made enough.

Congs 182-8 in 45 overs

Zahid Mahmood 66

With James looking hungry for wickets in his last game this season, the WPC openers were soon hopping around at the crease.  The verbals of “Subi” earlier had got the dander up of some of the Congs players.  He was soon cleaned up by James without troubling the scorers.  The tall opening bowler then had his second as Tomlinson got an edge behind where Alastair clung on to take the catch. Congs then went to sleep and allowed Anderson and Speight to dictate things a little too much.  Anderson even managed to reach fifty – much to his own bemusement!  Sixty seven runs had been added by the pair before Jolly got the breakthrough, a thin edge to Dave behind the stumps.  The next over Alex ran out Speight with a direct hit for 26.  Two vital wickets that re-energised the hosts.  From there the innings fell to pieces. Only nine more runs were added as Stuart, then James with his 30th league wicket of the season, and finally Ahtsham finished Wibsey off.  A couple of dropped catches and a great one by Ahtsham the final points of note.

WPC 89-9 (all out) in 34.2 overs

James Galvin 12/8/5/4

Stuart Jolly 12/5/26/3

Grantley Anderson 50

Well, undefeated at Fulneck all season.  Great result, although patchy at times, and players coming to the fore when needed.  Last game of the season at Thornbury next week.  Let’s hope to finish 2013 season in style!

Driglington Whitehall “B” v Pudsey Congs

At Station Road

Saturday August 31st, 2013

Report by Alastair Goodchild

The 4ths went to Drighlington for this week’s game.  Robin, Ahtsham and Macauley in this week.  A strong bowling attack meant that the hosts were asked to bat first.  James and Haris struck early and a run out also meant that the batters were 17-3 in no time.  A great burst that meant Mace and Shah had to rebuild.  Forty or so runs came but the introduction of Huffinley brought two quick wickets and the innings floundered.  Samiullah’s brisk 20 ended by Zahid.  All the bowlers doing their job.  James and Haris came back for second spells and James picked up Mace for 31 to end the innings with overs to spare.

Drig.  116-9 (all out) in 40 overs

J. Galvin 7/3/16/2

H. Mohammed 12/3/23/1

P. Huffinley 10/4/30/3

Z. Mahmood 4/3/4/2

Knowing that a hundred runs could take some getting, Robin and Zahid started in their usual positive manner…and kept going!  Both treated the bowling with disdain and both hitting maximums.  Zahid beating his skipper to fifty.  Shah was surprisingly shoddy and Mace made to look ordinary.  All over in quick time and 20 points.  A great performance.

4ths 119-0 in 20.4 overs

Z. Mahmood 67 NOT OUT

Robin Kettlewell 48 NOT OUT

Pudsey Congs v Cookridge “C”

At Fulneck

Saturday August 24th, 2013

Match report by Alastair Goodchild

The 4ths penultimate home game of the 2013 season saw us hosting Cookridge C.  Dave Malpass again skippering the side in Robin’s absence.  James and Haris back to spearhead the bowling attack.

With grey skies overhead and a wet wicket after the previous day’s heavy rain, meant that Cookridge called correctly at the toss and sent Cong’s into bat. Alastair and Zahid started cautiously against Khaild’s slippery dibbly dobbly bowling, the wicket very slow.  After one too many slogs across the line, Alastair fell lbw to Wheatley and Alex soon after to Khalid. The tricky wicket not helping Cong’s usually free flowing batting.  The bowling not threatening but the batters kept offering catches that somehow stuck.  Even the usually aggressive Abid undone by the slow pace to be tamely caught at slip.  Only Zahid of the top order managed anything like an innings.  When he fell for an unusually patient 30 – well caught by the keeper – Congs looked in trouble.  Enter Graham McPhail.  After not having batted yet this season this would be a test to see if all those net sessions were worth it.  Well run singles and dogged strokes meant that the total crept over the hundred mark.  Well supported by the equally dogged Nelthorpe, the batters ensured that the overs diminished too.  When Colin was adjudged run out the total looked like something for the bowlers to have a go at, and an invaluable 20 run partnership.


4ths – 113 (41.4 overs)

Zahid Mahmood 30 and Graham McPhail 22 NOT OUT

With a low total to defend, rain on its way, a league title to be won; phew, a lot for the skipper to ponder at the break.  Now up to the team to respond.

James and Haris opened up and soon had the batters in all sorts of trouble.  Too much pace and not enough ability to counter it. Between them the opening bowlers ripped the Cookridge batting line up to shreds.  Three clean bowled and one plumb lbw.  Four down and only 12 runs on the board.  There was a real sense that the Cookridge batting might totally fall apart.  Preston’s wicket summed up the opening spell as she fended off a rising delivery from James to be well caught by Zahid at slip.  Moss was the only batter to manage any sort of run scoring, if sporadic.  Few boundaries on the slow outfield.  When keeper Blackburn was run out by James – a great throw from the boundary – the innings looked done.  Stuart picked up two wickets and at eight down the bowling side were well on top.  Then, as conditions worsened, the umpire (inconsistent most of the afternoon) took the players from the field for bad light / rain…. After a while off the field and overs being reduced the teams managed a final three overs.  Congs tried in vain to get a breakthrough, but with only slow bowling allowed it proved fruitless and the limpet like Jo Dean managed to stay with Moss to the conclusion of proceedings.

Cookridge C 62-8 (36 overs)

James Galvin 7/3/8/2 and Haris Mohammed 6.1/1/10/3

Frustration again!  After a poor batting effort a great bowling one. Ten points.

A while after the game I received a phone call from Pete; Shipley’s game had been called off due to an unfit pitch, 5 points awarded meaning that…



Pudsey Congs v Wibsey Park Chapel

At Fulneck

Saturday August 17th, 2013

Match report by Alastair Goodchild

The visit of basement team Wibsey Park Chapel was this weekend’s fixture.  A weakened 4th XI was captained by Dave Malpass in Robin’s absence.

Dave won the toss and elected to field, in anticipation of making quick inroads to the Wibsey batting.  Pete and Josh opened the attack and it was Pete who struck twice early on.  His accuracy rewarded with two lbw decisions.  Josh was economical in his four over spell.  The arrival of the hard hitting Nomi Baig at the crease gave the Wibsey innings the shot in the arm it needed and a headache for the skipper as Baig seemed intent on charging at every ball and launching most towards the boundary.   After being dropped early, a difficult chance, he made a swashbuckling 21 runs before Pete had him caught by Graham.  Zahid got on to bowl and started to go through the rest of the Wibsey batters. Only Chris Tite with 22 got any score.  Zahid finished with four very economical wickets.  Young Aqib Mahraj getting the last wicket; his first in senior cricket.  The best wicket of all going to Stuart – the batter swept the ball up in the air, Dave behind the stumps did not see it until it nearly landed on his head, but fortunately got the gloves to it!  You had to be there!

Wibsey Park Chapel 102 (33.5 overs)

Zahid Mahmood 5/2/5/4

With the weather closing in and the rain starting to get heavier, both Alastair and Zahid started the reply in typical aggressive fashion. Thirty runs in less the five overs.  However both were out to needless shots, just as the heavens opened.  Covers were brought on and off and sawdust applied over the next hour and a half – all to no avail and the game was finally abandoned at 6pm.  Only nine points.


4ths 42-2 (6.4 overs)

A frustrating afternoon.  A below par fielding performance had gifted Wibsey thirty runs more than they should have got.  Shipley had an easy 20 point win over Baildon C.  Still a large lead at the top, and with Cookridge C to come at home next week, we will be looking for a bigger points return.

Thornbury “B” v Pudsey Congs

At Daleside Road

Saturday August 10th, 2013

Report by Alastair Goodchild

The short away trip to Thornbury’s oasis amongst the houses was this week’s fixture.  After a week kicking their heels the 4ths awaited the test of the erratic Thornbury outfit.  On winning the toss the hosts asked Congs to bat first.

The usual pair of Robin and Zahid opened and faced a green wicket with lots of assistance for the bowlers.  In only the second over Robin was caught behind.  Zahid tried to be watchful against the swing of left armer Sohail but was well beaten by one that straightened.  Two down and only thirteen runs on the board.  Enter Alastair and Joe Goodchild.  Another youth and experience combination and the innings in need of repair.  The left and right hand combination was enough to put the bowlers a little off their line and give Alastair a chance to get his favoured leg side into play.  Joe’s more orthodox, hard hitting, style also was rewarded.  The opening bowlers were seen off and runs began to flow.  Joe reached his second fifty of the season just after the drinks break with a straight drive that nearly took the bowlers hand with it.  The partnership put on a hundred runs and just as Alastair closed in on a fifty, the teenage Umair Iqbal got one to list off the seam and fine leg pouched the catch.  Ross Kettlewell joined Joe and played watchfully at first then helped Joe to kick on the innings. When Ross fell, Bashir and Malpass came and went playing foils to Joe’s continued hitting.  With the overs running out Joe went to his hundred and with Pete remained not out at the end.  A great knock from the young player.  Maximum batting points achieved and over 200 runs on the board.


Congs  212-6 (45 overs)

Joe Goodchild 117 NOT OUT and Alastair Goodchild 48

With a number of players missing, especially in the bowling department, the skipper knew the job was only half done. The U13 skipper Josh Chapmen opened the bowling with Pete.  The young left armer struggled initially to get his line right, whereas Pete was almost metronomic in his.  This was rewarded with two early wickets. Bashir’s cat like reactions at slip with one.  Zahid’s introduction also claimed a wicket.  Thornbury’s middle order was anchored for a while by Riz Akhtar.  He blasted four maximums and looked to be taking the hosts some way towards their target.  Pete informed the skipper he would be the one to get the batter out.  He duly delivered and a brief cameo of 36 runs was ended.  Opener Hussain  has quietly gone about his innings but as wickets were falling opened up once too much and was caught on the boundary.  Josh came back for his second spell and bowled much better and was rewarded with his first senior wicket.  Zahid and Pete picked up further wickets.  It was left to Ross to come on and polish off the tail.  Graham taking a tricky catch at mid off and then Josh reacting stunningly to dive on a double ricochet with only an over left.  Innings over and the full twenty points in the bag. Pete’s figures showing how well he bowled with four for 18.

Thornbury “B” 139 (44 overs)

P. Huffinley 12/5/18/4

Z. Mahmood 12/2/36/3

Ross Kettlewell 3/1/6/2

Another huge win, especially given the players missing.  Thanks to Josh, Graham, Abid and Colin for their great efforts with bat, ball and in the field.

Pudsey Congs v Baildon “C”

At Fulneck

Saturday August 3rd, 2013


Baildon are unable to raise a team, CONGS WIN

Cookridge “C” v Pudsey Congs

At Bedquilts

Saturday July 20th, 2013

Report by Alastair Goodchild

A visit to the worst place to play cricket in the Dales Council Cricket League never fills any player with great delight.  It is unfortunate that Cookridge’s C team have to attempt to host a game of cricket on Bedquilt’s park pitch – although they always try their best to rearrange fixtures to their Smithy Lane ground.

So when Robin lost the toss and Congs were inserted everyone braced themselves, fearing the worst.  Robin and Zahid opened and soon the runs were flowing and the pair looked to be adjusting as best they could to the awful batting conditions, aided by slow bowling that could be measured and dispatched.  The fifty partnership was yet again recorded by the pair.  Disaster then struck as Robin tried to play the correct line to the occasional bowling of Kilvington.  The ball kept low and slow and hit off peg at ankle height.  Yuk.  Alastair came to the crease and rebuilt with Zahid who was playing an excellent defensive game as well as picking off the bad balls regularly.  He reached his second fifty of the season with ease.  Keep going was the call.  Alastair fell to square leg and Stu, Dave and Alex also could not stay at the crease too long.  The dangerous Kahlid doing the damage.  Enter Pete, promoted up the order as this week the tail was longer than normal.  Playing with his usual gusto he supported Zahid excellently to the teenager’s 100 and onwards.  With the Cookridge bowlers tiring, Zahid upped the tempo and boundaries flowed freely.  Maximum batting points achieved.  With overs running out he brought up his 150 and the innings closed on exactly 250.  Pete a valuable 21 not out.

Congs 250-5 (45 overs)

Zahid Mahmood 150 NOT OUT

With the game only half done it was now up to the Congs bowlers – without the unavailable Galvin this week – to get the full points deserved.  After his excellent display last week it was Haris who opened the attack.  Yet again his pace and excellent line troubled the batters.  Pete from the other end was also on form from the start and he made the first breakthrough getting the opener to edge one behind to Dave.  Haris followed this up by bowling the next two batters including the talismanic Kahlid.  The hosts’ skipper for the day, Charlotte Preston came to the crease and became Haris’s third victim as she could only fend off a rising delivery that Dave surged forward to take.  She took a painful knock in the process, but with ice duly applied was ok.  After a lull in proceedings and a seventh wicket partnership of 42, Stu, Pete and Zahid chipped in with further wickets and it was left to the returning Haris to claim his fifth wicket to end the innings.  A spirited 37 from Steve Blackburn the only score of note for Cookridge.  Another huge win for Congs and the full 20 points.


Cookridge “C” 114 (32.1 overs)

Haris Mohammed   9.1/5/19/5

A good team performance and an outstanding batting and bowling from Zahid and Haris.  Back at Fulneck next week, hooray!



Pudsey Congs v Shipley Providence

At Fulneck

Saturday July 20th, 2013

Match report by Alastair Goodchild

The searing temperatures during the week were replaced by cloudy and humid conditions for yesterday’s top of the table Division C clash.

With Vice Captain Pete “The Organiser” Huffinley unavailable this week, the skipper had a lot of extra work on his hands.  First task, as always, to win the toss.  Job done and Congs to bat first.  Robin and Zaid opened up with their usual gusto and the score was soon moving along nicely.  Just as he was looking set for another big score, Zahid pummeled a full toss back to the bowler for 26.  Alastair joined Robin and got things back on track before the left hander played too far across his stumps and was bowled for 20.  Stu and Jo Royce both failed to make an impression and Joe G. could only manage a cameo 15.  So Robin kept going and when he went for a well made 74,  it was the Congs lower order that were required to get as many runs as possible. Dave (29) and Haris (12) duly obliged taking the score to maximum batting points.  Ross and Alex saw the overs to just under two left before the last wicket fell.

Congs 199 (43.1 overs)

Robin Kettlewell 74 and Dave Malpass 29

A good score, but a winning score?  The skipper knew the Prov. bats would come out singing and swinging!  James opened up from down the hill and quickly sent back burly opener – well caught by Robin.  The number three, Q. Naqvi, is usually a thorn most teams have failed to cope with this season.  No problem for James though as the batter knocked the cover off a good delivery that was snaffled by Dave behind the stumps.  Congs celebrated as the Prov. batter moaned and whined all the way off the field and beyond – no change there then!  When the equally verbal Risdon was clean bowled soon after, James had three quick wickets and Congs were on top. Meanwhile all was going off from one end, Haris was bowling an excellent spell of left arm pace from up the hill. Without Pete in the bowling attack, Robin turned to the slow bowlers.  Zahid and Stu bowled relatively economically.  The next breakthough came courtesy of a run out by Joe G.  With the Providences’ middle order’s resistance stiffening a little, the teenage Ross was summoned.  The impact was immediate as Robin threw down the stumps at the non striker’s end, then to cap it all a quicker ball that kept low snuck through the batter’s defences – a breathless over!! Haris picked up wickets and with nine down, the last two batters tried to hit everything they could to at least gain more batting points. Prov skipper Horrell was fortunate to survive a good Haris over but it was Joe G. that bowled the Shipley man to end the innings.

Shipley Prov. “B” 131 (32 overs)

H. Mohammed 9/3/20/3

The best team won.  A great win and now over 40 points clear at the top.  A mention for Joe Royce – a great fielding display, saving many runs sweeping on the boundary.  Well deserved fielding point.

Cookridge “B” v Pudsey Congs

At Smithy Lane Ground

Saturday July 13th, 2013

Report by Alastair Goodchild

A steaming hot afternoon saw the 4ths travel to Cookridge’s home ground at Smithy Lane to play the third, and final, Inter Divisional game against their B Division side.  A team going well in their Division and with a Cup Final to play the following day.

No surprise that on winning the toss, Cookridge elected to bat first.  Due to late withdrawals, hastily arranged personnel changes had to be made which strengthened Congs in the field but possibly weakened the bowling attack. James and Ahtsham opened the bowling but it was soon clear from the edges to the boundary that the outfield was lightening quick.  Unfortunately Ahtsham could only bowl three overs before being forced from the field unwell – a combination of the heat and Ramadan’s restrictions affecting him badly. Cookridge’s skipper provided a sub fielder.  Zahid and Stu were brought into the attack but the batters continued to score freely. Then, just as it looked like a century stand was on the cards, Zahid produced a ripper of a ball that was snaffled at slip.  The other opener continued on his way and the second wicket partnership was even greater than the first.  He passed fifty.  A great run out by Joe Royce – clipping one stump – got Congs back in the match and wickets then started to fall as the weaker middle order could not find the boundaries.  James accounted for the dangerous Moonam for a duck, Stu and Pete got a wicket each and then after another barrage of runs James’ final over only went for five runs.  All the bowlers toiled hard in the heat and the fielding display was much improved from last week.  A big score had been racked up though, so Congs’ batters would have to go well to get more points.

Cookridge “B” 225-8 (45 overs)

James Galvin 9/0/33/4

Robin and Zahid opened up for Congs. The young opener decided to attack the bowling from the start and soon the score was ticking along at five runs an over.  Robin too joined in with some lovely boundaries and yet another fifty stand for the first wicket was brought up in good time.  With the score on 77, Robin fell lbw sweeping.  Joe G. came in and signaled his intent with a classic cover drive for four, however he could not keep out one that darted back on him and was bowled.  Stu came in next and just as he was getting to grips with the bowling, he was caught behind off his glove.  Joe Royce, in a number five, was tasked with keeping Zahid company as he continued to play his shots. Zahid brought up his fifty and the score was looking good with plenty of overs left.  Just as it looked like he might get three figures Zahid was bowled for 73, an awesome effort by the young man.  Alastair came to the crease to try and get a partnership going with Joe.  The left hander got just the leg side balls he needed to settle him down and the pair put on 45 valuable runs before Alastair fell lbw to the sweep again.  Ahtsham bravely went in next but did not last long and he too was adjudged lbw to the sweep shot. Things were now getting tense as Congs were now in sight of a famous win but running out of wickets.  A gasp from pitch side as Pete went first ball! It was now down to Macca and Alex to try and see the team home.  All of the Cong’s players watching had everything crossed.  James in his pads, nervous.  He need not have been as the two teenagers swept, cut, nudged and ran well to do the job with nine balls left!!  A thirty seven run partnership, with Macca 23 not out and Alex 13 not out.

Congs 226-8 (43.3 overs)

Zahid Mahmood 73

Wow, a great win and 19 points.  A real bonus but well deserved after a couple of close games against other B Division sides this season.  Next up is Shipley Providence “B” at Fulneck.  First against second.

Pudsey Congs v Baildon “C”

At Fulneck

Saturday July 6th, 2013

Match report by Alastair Goodchild

A truly scorching Summer’s day welcomed Baildon C to Fulneck this afternoon.  The well oiled 4ths organisational machine had everything prepared by 1300 – except the milk…!

Stand in skipper Lawson took one look at the landing strip of a wicket and decided to have a bat.  A toss Congs would have like to have won too.

Baildon opened with Joy and Kelly. Congs opened with James and Haris. From the start chances were created but not taken.  Catch after catch was offered and not taken.  Even with Joy departing, clean bowled by James, matters in the field did not get any better.  Kelly thrived on the Cong’s sloppy fielding.  The skipper’s patience finally snapped and a hastily convened mid pitch talking to was in order – himself not excluded from the verbal kick in the backside.  Things did not improve much.  Wickets were taken, but the bowlers efforts were not matched by the fielding, except Macca behind the stumps.  When Kelly departed for 106 runs after offering one chance too many the rest of the batters did not last long.  The damage had been done though.  After 45 overs in the hot sun and over 180 runs to chase, the Congs team knew they would have to bat better by some way to win the game.

Baildon C 186-9 (45 overs)

J. Galvin 11/1/33/3

The run chase was initially a little sad in that Alastair and Zahid got their inning’s over and done with in quick time leaving the skipper and Stu – the leading run scorers in the team – to take up the challenge. This they did.  Ignoring the constant verbal whining of various Baildon players – notably Foster – the batters climbed into the Baildon attack. Robin playing some crunching shots, including one huge six. The partnership yielded over a hundred runs until Robin was given lbw about 3/4 of the way down the wicket for a good 70 runs.  Stuart, not his fluent self in the heat, went for 28 and the jitters started to creep in.  Alex and Macca started a good partnership until Alex swept the young spinner onto his stumps and Macca was caught for 19.  Thankfully Haris (15 not out) and Pete (18 not out) calmed the nerves with an unbeaten seventh wicket partnership and saw the side home with 1.3 overs left.   Phew!

4ths 187-6 (43.3 overs)

Robin Kettlewell 70 and S. Jolly 28

Nineteen points from a game that could have easily been lost.  An away fixture against the B Division Cookridge team next week.



Pudsey Congs v Drig Whitehall “B”

At Fulneck

Saturday June 29th, 2013

Match report by Alastair Goodchild

For the first time since the end of May would you believe, the 4ths were at Fulneck. Drig/Whitehall B arrived short handed due to unavailabilities.  Only nine took the field.  Their skipper decided to bat first.

Knowing that maximum points were the order of the day, Robin had no hesitation in unleashing James from down the hill at the veteran Robinson.  Before the end of the first over the opening batter was back in the pavilion, clean bowled.  After a couple of half chances went begging and some big shots were played Zahid took a good caught and bowled.  Mistry arrived at the crease and took a liking to the young spinner, hitting him out of the park on one occasion.  All the bowlers started to make inroads and when Mistry played one attacking shot too many at James, the innings fell away. Nav and then Pete got in on the act and it was left to Stu to take the final wicket.  Innings closed in quick time.

DW “B”  74 (23 overs)

J. Galvin 10/3/14/3, N. Bose 5/3/4/1, P. Huffinley 3/1/7/2

With all points needed the skipper knew the reply needed to be sensible.  Unfortunately, after negotiating the first over, Zahid fell first ball to Mace and Robin was adjudged caught behind soon after.  This brought Stu and Alastair to the crease. Both looked to impose their attacking style on proceedings, and duly did so.  Alastair particularly severe on the extra pace and bounce offered by Mistry – slashing and cutting at will.  Even the experience of Mace could not keep the scoring down and after a partnership of 62 for the third wicket it was another questionable umpiring decision that ended Stu’s innings.  This also cost Congs the full points. Macca came in next and played every ball on its merits, with only a few runs needed.  Game over after exactly the same overs as the first innings.

Congs  75-3 (23 overs)

Alastair Goodchild 37 not out and Stuart Jolly 34

Shipley Providence “B” v Pudsey Congs

At Salts CC

Saturday June 22nd, 2013

Report by Alastair Goodchild

The game was abandoned after 21 overs due to rain.

Congs 57 for 3 – Zahid 21 not out

Pudsey St Lawrence v Pudsey Congs

At Laisterdyke

Saturday June 15th, 2013

Report by Alastair Goodchild

This weekend’s game saw the 4ths travel to the ex Bradford League ground at Laisterdyke to take on PSL’s 3rd team in an Inter Divisional fixture.  After last weeks heroics, it was no surprise that Mark was selected for the Congs 3rd team this week. James also missing from the line up.  Harris and Zaid in.

With rain in the air Robin called correctly at the toss and decided to field first.  After a false start due to a sudden blast of rain, the game got under way with Harris opening the bowling.  Unfortunately the young bowler’s radar was off and the slippery conditions hindered him too.  Opener Hartley tucked in and soon PSL had built a good opening stand.  Pete at the other end proved more difficult to get away.  The skipper brought on Zahid for Harris and he soon had Riaz lbw.  Congs battled hard and the bowlers toiled. Nav came on and tried to slow the scoring.  Hartley however made it to 50 for the second week running and just as it looked like he might go on to make a big score Zahid snapped up a caught and bowled chance. Harris was brought back for his second spell, what a difference!  Much better line and length accounted for three PSL batters. Allman (32) and Dobson (27) took the score to over 150, and the 9th wicket pair managed to get the home side to the final bonus point.

PSL 180-8 (45 overs)

Harris Mohammed 11/0/44/3, Pete Huffinley 10/1/32/1, Zahid Mahmood 12/0/58/2, Nav Bose 12/2/39/1

On an unpredictable surface Congs knew that to get maximum batting points would be tough.  Robin and Zahid opened up.  Cullingford began to get a number of balls to rise alarmingley, and after a few scoring shots Robin got a ball that lifted on him and he gloved to the keeper.  Alastair came to the crease, in a helmet for the first time in many a year, knowing that after seeing his skipper’s dismissal, a positive approach needed to be taken.  Zahid played a touch more orthodox.  A good partnership started to develop, and even with the introduction of the canny Marsden into the attack, Goodchild played his shots. Unfortunately it was the slow bowling of Brear that got the breakthrough as the batter picked out the man at deep square leg to go for 23. Stuart came to the crease and also looked to attack, although the wicket was giving great assistance to Marsden by now and balls were keeping low or shooting through.  Just as he was looking to get in, Stu holed out for 22 and when Zahid finally went for a patient 24 the Congs batting started to look in trouble.  The middle order fell to Marsden, again helped by the poor wicket.  Only Nav managed to keep things going and the third batting bonus point was gained.  With one wicket left and three needed for another point, an unwise second run was unsuccessfully attempted.  Congs all out 34 runs short of victory.


Congs 147 (41.1 overs)

Nav Bose 39 not out and K. Marsden 5-26

A shame to lose but at least some bonus points gained.  Another away trip to second place Shipley Prov. next week with high hopes to get back to winning ways.

Baildon “C” v Pudsey Congs

At Sandal School

Saturday June 8th, 2013

A Captain’s view of the Double Century


As Captain of the Dales 2nd XI, I thought it only fitting to provide my own tribute to a special innings of 217 not out by Mark.


Firstly I would like to put into context how much of an achievement it was:

The 3rd highest score in the Dales Council cricket league history

The highest ever score in the ‘C’ Division of the Dales Council

I suspect the youngest ever player at 18 to score a double century in the Dales

One of the highest individual scores in Pudsey Congs history

 What is most remarkable about this is that Mark has only been playing cricket for around three years and has had no specialist coaching. It proves that hard work, application and a fair amount of natural talent can go a long way. I was privileged to be batting at the other end for the first 149 runs of which Mark had scored 105. What was most pleasing were the number of orthodox cricket shots Mark played all around the wicket. There were countless straight drives, cuts and pulls alongside quick singles that ran the opposition ragged. I remember one shot that Mark effortlessly clipped over midwicket for six that left me wishing I could play with such ease.

What was most impressive though was that someone of such tender years could show the desire and determination to bat for 45 overs. Having played the game myself for 25 years as an opening batter I have only done this twice. This is Mark’s fifth or sixth game as an opener. Mark’s innings should be an inspiration for all aspiring junior cricketers at the club and shows what can be done with persistence and hard work. I suspect as captain of the Dales 2nd XI I won’t have the pleasure of watching Mark bat at such close hand again but the 4th team is all about bringing junior talent through to play for the more senior teams.

Mark should use this now as springboard for bigger and better things and I’m sure he can achieve this.


Well batted mate.




Match Report by Alastair Goodchild

A hot and sunny day at Baildon for this afternoon’s game, and Stuart Jolly returning to his former club for the first time.  Robin had no hesitation in electing to bat first on a dry wicket with a well cut outfield.

Mark and Robin were soon into their stride with Mark smashing the evergreen Barry Foster out of the attack after only three very expensive overs – this after the bowler had taken 4-10 last week.  At the other end Andy Clapham was less expensive yet the Congs openers made hay in the sunshine.  Fours and sixes flowed from both bats scattering the field in all directions.  A REALLY BIG score looked on.. yep. A REALLY, REALLY, BIG SCORE .  The fifty partnership then one hundred run partnership was passed with plenty of overs remaining. Robin playing the perfect anchor to his young opening partner.  Mark brought up his maiden century and the partnership looked supreme. The partnership was finally broken on 149.  A good catch by one of the Baildon young players accounted for Robin (37).  Alastair came in at three and put on 44 runs with Mark as he continued on his way. When the senior Goodchild fell attempting a pull shot, Joe Goodchild arrived at the crease.  Immediately the run rate picked up once more and the two hundred came up.  Joe batted positively as always and as overs began to run out the three hundred run barrier was broken! (I will be scouring the record books to see when the 4ths last amassed such a big score).  Mark went past two hundred and in the last over Joe managed to hit the runs to bring up his first League 50.  The final total WAS HUGE!!  Credit to the Baildon team who stuck at it all innings.

Congs 335-2 (45 overs)

Mark Ferguson 217 NOT OUT

Joe Goodchild 50 NOT OUT

With such a large total on the board it would have been easy to let things slip a little.  Robin was not in the mood to go easy and the pace of James opened the bowling reply.  Bill Bryan as always proved to be the main sticking point in holding up Congs.  His gritty innings kept Congs at bay for many overs.  It was the slower pace of Stuart that picked up the most wickets and Ross Kettlewell chipped in with two, Mark with two and James with two.  Eight wickets falling to catches.  After Bill Bryan’s 32 the innings fell away and closed at 76.  A HUGE WIN!


Baildon C 76 (36.3 overs)

J. Galvin 9/3/17/2 & P. Huffinley 9/3/22/0 & S. Jolley 9.3/2/23/4

M. Ferguson 7/3/4/2 & Ross Kettlewell 2/1/1/2

20 points, Excellent!!

Pudsey Congs v Wibsey Park Chapel

At the Britannia Ground

Sunday June 2nd, 2013

Match report by Alastair Goodchild

A glorious Sunday at the Brit saw the 4ths take on Wibsey Park Chapel.  After conceding the away fixture a couple of weeks ago, an unfamiliar looking Wibsey side to the one usually put out on a Saturday took to the field after asking Congs to bat first.

After being unable to play the previous day due to family commitments, the 4ths welcomed Zulfi to the side and he proceeded to open the batting with Mark. Both batters are in good from so far this season and the opening overs from Wibsey flew by as forty runs were brought up in the first seven overs.  Just as he looked to be heading for a big score, Zulfi slashed a poor ball to point and was well caught.  Mark and Joe continued the good scoring rate but yet again just as things looked settled, the first change bowler, a youngster, castled Joe as he looked to play too forcefully against far slower pace. All the Congs batters were getting themselves in and the scoreboard kept ticking over.  Mark (37), Stuart (18), Jacques (17) and Zahid (10) all managed promising starts.  Alastair held one end up and batted seventeen overs to near the innings close.  A late Macca cameo brought applause from his team mates and also brought up maximum batting points.


Congs 185-8 (45 overs)

M. Ferguson 37, A. Goodchild 37 and D. Anderson (jnr) 4-43

Perhaps an under par score on Brit. But at least one for the bowlers to have a go at. Mark and James opened with medium pace and it was soon clear that Congs would have to work hard for the win.  James got the first wicket – a lovely yorker.  However this brought to the crease the Wibsey number three, who had also opened the bowling.  He was soon into his stride and although wickets were taken around him he continued to thwart the Congs bowlers.  Robin changed his attack to spin and Stuart and Zahid took vital wickets.  The Wibsey number three still prevailed and brought up his fifty.  At four runs an over the game had swung in Wibsey’s favour.  The turning point then came as Stuart enticed the batter into a lofted stroke that was well pouched by Jacques at long off.  A key wicket indeed as the remainder of the Wibsey batters struggled to keep up the run rate and as overs ran out the game was finely poised.  James returned to the attack a picked up a couple more wickets.  With nine down the last pair managed to keep out the last over and Congs had won by five runs!  Nearly a mirror of the Undercliffe Cup game, except this time the Congs prevailed.

19 points in the bank.

Wibsey Park Chapel  180-9 (45 overs)

J. Galvin 12/5/25/4 and A. Beesley 77

Pudsey Congs v Drig Whitehall “B”

At Fulneck

Saturday May 25th, 2013

Match report by Alastair Goodchild

A lovely sunny day at Fulneck greeted the teams for the top of the C Division clash with Drighlington/Whitehall B.  Even after the recent heavy rain the wicket looked fair to bat on and the outfield, although slow in places, good too.

Congs were put into bat first.  Mark and Robin wasted no time in getting their partnership under way.  They tucked in at will to the buffet bowling offered up by the Drig medium pace attack.  Short balls were crashed to the boundary.  The fifty partnership was again brought by the openers and Congs looked to be well set only for Mark to fall lbw for 32.  The hot conditions were taking the toll on Robin and he visibly slowed his scoring rate.  Two more wickets fell before Robin eventually was out for 43.  A shame as another fifty plus score would have been deserved reward for the skipper.  He had batted for nearly thirty overs and blunted the bowling of the usually effective Simon Mace.  Stuart picked up the pace again in the final twenty overs and although not running between the wickets or finding the boundaries as often as he would have liked, he still reached his fifty (his first for Congs). He and Alastair (29 not out) put on seventy for the fifth wicket and took the score past 200 at the end of the innings.  Full batting points and a good total to defend.

Congs 214-4 (45 overs)

S. Jolly 65 not out, R. Kettlewell 43, M. Ferguson 32

With the weather still fine, Congs took to the field after tea knowing that the job was only half done.  Mark & James opened the attack and soon had the veteran Robinson back in the pavilion caught by Joe off James.  Keyworth, the young opener, batted positively and smote a couple of long sixes.  Spin replaced medium pace as Stuart and Zahid came into the attack.  The Drig batters looked to attack the slower bowling and this led to their demise.  Stuart picked up three wickets and Zahid got the crucial wicket of Keyworth for 33.  As Zahid got into his rhythm and Dave started to read the young bowlers’ line and length behind the stumps, the young U15 spinner ran through the Drig lineup.  A battling 18 from Falkingham was not enough to get the score into three figures and fittingly Zahid took the final wicket to get his five for.  A great bowling performance from all four bowlers used.  Congs were ok in the field, a couple of good catches, only blotted by two dropped in one over!

Drig./W “B”  89 (36.5 overs)

A.Keyworth 33, Zahid 11.5 / 3 / 25 / 5

Congs 20 points

Wibsey Park Chapel v Pudsey Congs

At Haycliffe Lane

Saturday May 18th, 2013

Report by Alastair Goodchild

Hot off the press.  Today’s 4th team game v Wibsey Park Chapel conceded by Wibsey as they can’t raise a team – Bradford City are in the play off final at Wembley so a number of players down.  Congs get 15 points!

Pudsey Congs v Undercliffe

Cawthorne Cup First Round

At Britannia Ground

Sunday May 12th, 2013

Match report by Alastair Goodchild

Although playing against a team in a higher division, the 4ths went into this Cup game with optimism.  What followed was a game played with spirit, fight (in the right sense), determination and no lack of skill – from both teams!

Undercliffe’s skipper called correctly at the toss and batted first.  Mark and Ahtsham opened the bowling and bowled tight opening spells. After looking settled the first wicket fell to a run out, after good work by Nav in the field.  Holden batted well and built a good innings, passing fifty with some fluent off drives.  Robin kept encouraging his troops and it took a great catch on the boundary by Macauley (outstanding in the field all afternoon) to get rid of the opener.  Just as the batsmen seemed to be getting on top, the Congs bowlers managed to peg them back.  Some good running between the wickets at the end saw the score creep over the 200 mark.


Undercliffe 207-7 (40 overs)

J. Holden 65

S. Jolly 8/0/30/2

At the break it was generally felt that this was a score that could be overhauled especially with the batting depth on offer. Robin and Mark took to the crease knowing that a repeat of yesterday’s batting display from the pair was needed.  They did not disappoint.  Both batters used the good wicket to their advantage in finding gaps, running well and playing their shots – much to the chagrin of the Undercliffe bowlers.

As the weather started to get worse, both sides agreed to try to finish the game on the day. The fifty partnership was brought up only for Robin to miss a slower delivery and was bowled for 19.  Mark continued to keep the scoring rate up and brought up his individual 50.  When he fell for an excellent 73 and Ahtsham and Nav went in quick succession, Stuart Jolly became the linchpin of the innings.  Unfortunately, his free striking was cruelly limited by a twisted ankle sustained as he slipped on the greasy wicket.  He soldiered on with Ahtsham as his runner.  A seventh wicket partnership with Alastair started to turn the tide back towards Congs, only for an enforced bowling change to bring the demise of Goodchild.  As Stuart started to run out of partners he continued to hit as many balls as he could to the boundary.  Dave (also struggling with an injured knee) and Jacques came and went.  The tension mounted as Congs passed the 200 mark in the last over.  With one ball left and six needed to win the game the only sound to be heard was the rain falling.  Stuart swung the bat but could not connect… The Undercliffe players were mighty relieved – they had been given a real test.

4ths 202-8 (40 overs)

Mark Ferguson 73

Stuart Jolly 38 not out

The Congs players, although disappointed, realised what a good performance had been put in by all the team as well as those mentioned above.  Hopefully this signals further success in the rest of the league games to follow.

Many thanks to the fantastic support from Congs members, players et al.  It was heartening to see so many watching on a wet Sunday afternoon.

Pudsey Congs v Cookridge “C”

At Fulneck

Saturday May 11th, 2013

Match report by Alastair Goodchild

A very windy and showery afternoon greeted the players for today’s C Division encounter – only 10 players able to take the field.  The visitors, an under strength Cookridge “C”.  Shorn of a number of their players from last season’s second place finish in the division.

Another won toss and Robin sent Cookridge into bat.  The wicket looking good, but expecting a less then strong batting line up.  It took a marvelous diving one handed at full stretch caught and bowled catch from James Galvin to take the first wicket.  At the other end Mark was producing some hostile deliveries to unsettle the batters.  The wickets began to fall and it was not until the number six Khalid Mahmood started to open up, although dropped on the boundary early in his innings, that any score looked possible.   When he fell to Pete for 49 the rest of the batters offered little resistance, though the opening bat lasted for thirty five overs he only scored three runs!  The last wicket fell to James with one over remaining.  A good bowling performance by all four bowlers.

Cookridge “C” 86-9 (43.4 overs)

M. Ferguson 12/5/29/1, J. Galvin 10.4/4/24/4, P. Huffinley 10/5/11/2, S. Jolly 10/2/22/2

In reply Robin and Mark had little difficulty with the Cookridge bowlers. The evergreen Ron McKenzie and the all rounder Mahmood tried in vain to induce a loose shot, but did not succeed.  Some well timed cuts and drives by Mark was especially pleasing on the eye.  All over in less then twenty overs.

PCCC 87-0 (19.3 overs)

R. Kettlewell 31 not out and M. Ferguson 45 not out

20 points

A good win, but a sterner test tomorrow in the Cawthorne Cup at the Brit against Undercliffe awaits.

Shipley Providence “B” v Pudsey Congs

At the Playing Fields at Salts

Saturday May 4th, 2013

Match report by Alastair Goodchild

Congs 4th’s this week were away to so far unbeaten Shipley Providence “B” at the Salts Sports Association ground in picturesque Saltaire.

The late withdrawal of Adil due to injury meant a call up for Ross Kettlewell. After inspecting the track – a varied mixture of colouration and texture – Robin won the toss and inserted the opposition.  There was also a strong cross wind to contend with.  Mark Ferguson opened the bowling and within a very short time managed to find the ideal line and length to bowl. Unfortunately for Abid behind the stumps it also meant a dislocated finger and Dave Malpass taking over the keeping duties for the rest of the afternoon.  Mark and James bowled well in tandem and their hostile pace reaped the reward with Mark clean bowling the first four Shipley batters.  Only Kasim Naqvi stood firm and started to build the innings.  When Mark bowled him for 46 Congs looked to have broken into the middle order.  Stuart and Pete came on as first change and continued to keep things relatively tight.  Pete picked up a couple more wickets.  When James and Mark came on for the second spell’s the Shipley innings had passed the hundred, Mark got his fifth wicket – a steepling caught & bowled –  and James also bagged one.  However in the end the last wicket just would not fall.  A total of just over 150 still looked gettable.

Shipley 154-9 (45 overs) (Mark Ferguson 12/4/31/5)

Robin had plenty to think about at the interval, chiefly who he would open the batting with.  Mark was deemed the appropriate option to gain as many quick runs on a large outfield.  And so it proved.  Both openers ran very well between the wickets and when Mark played on for 17, they had scored 39 runs.  Goodchild senior thrashed at a few before yorking himself and Robin went lbw for 20 shortly after.  Oops, a middle order wobble?  Not a bit of it. Messsers Malpass and Jolly reaped the reward of good weekly net sessions and proceeded to flay the Shipley bowlers to all parts.  The fielding and bowling looking increasingly ragged.  The pair timed the ball impeccably.  The score raced on and in the 30th over Dave hit the winning runs to fall agonising two runs short of fifty and one short of an unbroken hundred partnership.  A great knock by both batters nonetheless.

PCCC 4ths  156-3 (29.3 overs) D. Malpass 48 not out, S. Jolly 32 not out

Congs win by 7 wickets and take 19 points.

Two home games await next weekend, the second being a Sunday cup game on the Britannia.  Let’s hope the team can take this form forward.

Pudsey Congs v Thornbury “B”

At Fulneck

Saturday April 27th, 2013

Match report by Alastair Goodchild

The 4th’s first home game of the season welcomed Thornbury B to Fulneck.  Having had to concede their opening fixture due to player shortage, they only managed to raise 9 for this fixture.

On winning the toss Robin opted to bowl first on a well prepared wicket, though damp and soft due to the morning rain.  The 4th’s had Mark Ferguson back after his 3rd team appearance last week.  He opened with Ahtsham. After a few overs it was clear that Hassan Khan – fresh from his fifty last week for Thornbury’s B Division side – would be the main obstacle for the Congs bowlers.  He duly bludgeoned his way to 50, with little support.  When he was bowled by Adil, who had come on in place of Mark, the Congs bowlers, now on top, started to roll through the Thornbury batters.  Only Wilson & Thackery’s last wicket partnership of 24 held the innings together.  When Wilson was yorked by Ahtsham for 18 the innings closed on 104.  Most of the Congs’ bowling figures looked good – Adil with 5/1/12/3, and Pete’s short spell of 3/2/1/0.

With a low total and lots of gaps in the field the opening pair of Kettlewell and Ahtsham looked to finish procedings early.  When the latter’s innings was cruelly cut short on 28 – a poor caught behind decision – the pair had made 71. The skipper concentrated well against some poor bowling and duly made his first 50 of the season, ending up on 51 not out.  Game over, 105-1 after only 26 overs.

A very different game to last week and a little frustrating with players not having a knock.  Next week’s away game against Shipley Providence “B” should provide better opposition.

Bradford Moor v Pudsey Congs

At Karmand Centre

Saturday April 20th, 2013

Match report by Alastair Goodchild

Due to the withdrawal of two teams from the league shortly before the start of the season, the 4ths opening game pitched them against the new “B” Division side, Bradford Moor in an Inter Divisional fixture.  A tough game was anticipated.

The short trip to the Karmand Community Centre ground in the Bradford suburbs revealed a very nice facility – smart changing room and a flat playing area. Robin had no hesitation on electing to bat after winning the toss, the Bradford Moor side this season is made up of mostly players who were playing “A” Division cricket last season.  Chasing leather was not seen as a good idea to start the season. The opening pair of Robin and Joe faced the medium pace of Khan and Hanif.  The partnership did not last long as Joe spooned a catch to mid on – deceived by the slow wicket.  Robin followed shortly after, caught at point.  The debutant Ahtsham Ahmed looked at ease; even though he did not get reward for many of his shots, he stayed resolute.  His gritty innings held firm whilst all else crumbled.  After seeing off the opening bowlers, the change bowling was easier to score off.  Alex Goodchild formed a decent partnership and when Bashir was called to the crease, he took advantage to score 22.  When Ahtsham finally fell for 26 he had done a great job for the team and virtually used up most of the 45 overs. The tail did not wag as Khan finished with a 5 wicket haul for less then ten runs.  Extras, including over 20 no balls, accounted for much of the 101 final tally.  Possibly a defendable total on such a slow wicket.

The second half was preceded by the skipper advising his young opening bowlers that the right line and lengths could reap rewards. Harris and debutant Adil opened up.  Unfortunately the opposition batsmen got too many easy balls to hit and were soon on their way to overhauling the Congs’ total.  The introduction of Ahtsham, Jacques and Pete could not slow the scoring, even though Jacques did pick up one wicket and the Congs fielders stopped many scoring shots.  In the end, seventeen and a half overs was all the Bradford Moor batsmen needed to close proceedings.

Not a doom and gloom start to the 2013 campaign by any means.  Two promising young players to only get better, more training and nets to go to, plus two or three players to join up with the 4th team squad from next week.  Roll on the next game against Thornbury “B” at Fulneck next weekend.

bottom of page